Skip to main content

California State Route 135

After completing California State Route 227 I headed south into Santa Barbra County to check out an old alignment of US 101 which is now partially incorporated into California State Route 135.






CA 135 is a 21 mile state highway looping from US 101 in Santa Maria southeast to Los Alamos.  As stated above the alignment of CA 135 was largely part of early US 101 which was replaced in the 1930s.  CA 135 is signed along Broadway in Santa Maria and is co-signed as the US 101 Business Route within the city.






CA 135 has a junction with CA 166 in downtown Santa Maria.  Interestingly there is a large pedestrian bridge south of the CA 166 junction on CA 135.





CA 135 crosses a set of rails in downtown Santa Maria and approaches Betteravia Road where it once met former CA 176.  CA 176 was a short route which ended in Sisquoc to the east.






CA 135 becomes an expressway exiting Santa Maria on the approach southward to Orcutt.  The original alignment of CA 135 and US 101 would have been on Orcutt Road which is a front road east of the modern expressway.






In Orcutt CA 135 becomes a freeway.  The freeway grade of CA 135 closely follows the original alignment of US 101 which was on Graciosa Road which runs next to the northbound lanes.







CA 135 merges in with CA 1 at this overpass.  There is no access for CA 135 southbound traffic to merge onto CA 1 north.





CA 135 is briefly multiplexed with CA 1.  The CA 135 freeway segment largely exists to flow traffic to Vandenberg Air Force Base.  Vandenberg traffic continues southward towards Lompoc on CA 1 whereas as CA 135 continues south towards Los Alamos.






South of CA 1 the alignment of CA 135 merges back down to two-lanes and continues southeast towards Los Alamos. 







CA 135 becomes Bell Street in Los Alamos.  Bell Street is directly aligned with the US 101 expressway west of Los Alamos which indicates to me that it was likely part of the 1930s realignment.  




Los Alamos was founded in 1876 out of various ranch land parcels.  Centennial Street was plotted as the main North/South street in Los Alamos due to the community being founded on the American Centennial.  Bell Street carries CA 135 through the community to the to the US 101 expressway where the route ends on San Antonio Boulevard.




As stated above CA 135 was originally a segment of US 101 from Santa Maria to Los Alamos.  It appears that US 101 shifted to the modern expressway alignment some time between 1930 and 1932 as a new state highway can be seen by comparing the two state highway maps from those years.  US 101 stayed on Broadway in Santa Maria but entered the city on Santa Maria Way.



The full modern expressway bypass of Santa Maria that US 101 utilizes first appears on the 1963 State Highway Map.  Interestingly it appears that all of the former routing of US 101 between Los Alamos and Santa Maria remained a branch of Legislative Route 2 until the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  The change of alignment of US 101 can be seen on the 1963 State Highway Map and the change to CA 135 appears on the 1964 State Highway Map. 



The 1966 State Highway Map shows an expressway alignment of CA 135 south of Santa Maria.  CA 1 is still shown on the Harris Grade southward to Lompoc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh