Skip to main content

Throwback Thursday; Alamogordo and Sacramento Railroad (Cloud Climbing Railroad) on US 82

Back in 2012 I took a trip up US 82 from US 70/54 in Alamogordo which occupies much of the former right-of-way of the Alamogordo and Sacramento Railroad.


The A&S Railroad was a 32 mile spur of the El Paso and Northeast Railroad which was in operation from 1898 to 1947.  The A&S Railroad was primarily in service haul freight from the sawmills in Cloudcroft and Russia.  The A&S Railroad was known as the "Cloud Climber" due to it having a starting elevation at 4,320 feet above sea level and an ending elevation of 9,076 feet above sea level.  The A&S had grades as high as 6.4% and was generally considered to be an engineering marvel.  After freight service ended in 1947 the A&S rails were dismantled, only the Cloudcroft trestle remains in place to this day. 

Much of the former right-of-way of the A&S Railroad was used by US Route 82 when it was extended to Las Cruces in 1963.  The climb east into Cloudcroft from Alamogordo is fast but not as steep as might be suspect due to the low grades.  Cloudcroft at 8,600 feet above sea level is one of the highest all-year settlements in the United States.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) (Baltimore, MD)

The Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) was a steel continuous truss bridge that spanned the Patapsco River in Baltimore, MD. Situated at the entrance to Baltimore’s Outer Harbor, the bridge carried Interstate 695 (part of the Baltimore Beltway) and was a visible symbol of the city and the state of Maryland. This bridge no longer exists due to its collapse as the result of a collision with a large container ship on March 26, 2024. The following piece will discuss the history and life of the Key Bridge, the important details surrounding the incident that caused its collapse, and the in-progress recovery efforts at the site. This piece will also discuss the economic impacts to the city and region as a result of the collapse and will look ahead at what to expect from a potential replacement crossing in the future. Part 1 - History of the Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) Planning for what was originally known as the “Baltimore Outer Harbor Crossing” began in the 1950s at the dawn of