Skip to main content

Hawaii Route 380


Hawaii Route 380 is a 6.2-mile State Highway which exists on the Island of Maui.  Hawaii Route 380 eastbound begins at Hawaii Route 30/Honoapiilani Highway near Waikapu.  Eastbound Hawaii Route 380 follows Kuihelani Highway 5.2-miles eastbound and another 1-mile on Dairy Road to a terminus at Hawaii Route 36A near Kahului Airport.  


Part 1; the history of Hawaii Route 380

The Island of Maui seemingly was not part of the original World War II era Hawaii Route System.  Circa 1955 the United States Bureau of Public Roads renumbered the Hawaii Route System.  The 1955 Hawaii Route Renumbering saw most of the conventions utilized by the current Hawaii State Route System established.  Primary Hawaii Routes were given two-digit numbers whereas Secondary Hawaii Routes were given three-digit numbers.  The Hawaii Routes were assigned in sequence for what Island/County they were located on coupled with what Federal Aid Program number they were tied to.  In the case of the Island of Maui it was assigned numbers in the range of 30-40.  

Hawaii Route 38 was assigned to a small corridor which connected Hawaii Route 36/Hana Highway near Kahului Airport southwest to Hawaii Route 35/Puunene Avenue via the publicly accessible portion of Dairy Road.  The earlier iteration of Hawaii Route 38 along Dairy Road can be seen on the 1955 United States Geological Map of Wailuku.  


According to hawaiihighways.com an easement was granted to the State of Hawaii during 1971 to construct a State Highway on what was the privately owned part of Dairy Road.  Dairy Road west of Puunene Avenue was reconstructed to four-lane expressway standards as Hawaii Route 380 which connected to new terminus at Hawaii Route 30/Honoapiilani Highway.  Hawaii Route 380 can be seen first time on the 1983 United States Geological Survey Maps of Maui, Wailuku and Maalaea.  Hawaii Route 380 is displayed as following Keolani Place, Dairy Road and Kuihelani Highway from Kahului Airport west to Hawaii Route 30.  



Modern maps still display Hawaii Route 380 following Keolani Place to Kahului Airport despite it being field signed as Hawaii Route 36A.  It is unclear when signage on Keolani Place was swapped to Hawaii Route 36A. 



Part 2; a drive on Hawaii Route 380

Hawaii Route 380 westbound begins via right-hand turn onto Dairy Drive as Hawaii Route 36A transitions from Haleakala Drive onto Keolani Place.



Hawaii Route 380 westbound intersects Hawaii Route 36 at Hana Highway.  



Hawaii Route 380/Dairy Road westbound intersects Hawaii Route 3800 at Mayor Elmer F. Cravalho Way.  Westbound Hawaii Route 380/Dairy begins an unsigned multiplex of Hawaii Route 3800 towards Hawaii Route 3500 and Hawaii Route 311.



The multiplexed Hawaii Route 380 and Hawaii Route 3800 are signed eastbound from Puunene Avenue on Hawaii Route 311 northbound in addition to Hawaii Route 3500 southbound.  



Hawaii Routes 380 and 3800 westbound follow Dairy Road to Hawaii Route 311/Hawaii Route 3500 at Puunene Avenue.  Hawaii Route 3800 terminates at Puunene Avenue whereas Hawaii Route 380 westbound transitions onto Kuihelani Highway. 


Hawaii Route 380 follows Kuihelani Highway westbound to an unsigned intersection with Maui County Route 305 at Waiko Road.  





From Waiko Road, Hawaii Route 380 follows Kuihelani Highway to a western terminus at Hawaii Route 30/Honoapiilani Highway.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th