Skip to main content

Hawaii Route 310


Hawaii Route 310 is a 3.6-mile State Highway located on the Island of Maui.  Hawaii Route 310 begins at the junction of Hawaii Route 31/Hawaii Route 311 in Kihei and heads westward along Maalaea Bay toward a terminus at Hawaii Route 30.  Hawaii Route 310 follows North Kihei Road through it's entire routing and was once part of Hawaii Route 31.  The cover photo of this blog is an eastward view of Hawaii Route 310 facing towards Maalaea Bay, Kihei and Haleakala.  


Part 1; the history of Hawaii Route 310

The Island of Maui seemingly was not part of the original World War II era Hawaii Route System.  Circa 1955 the United States Bureau of Public Roads renumbered the Hawaii Route System.  The 1955 Hawaii Route Renumbering saw most of the conventions utilized by the current Hawaii State Route System established.  Primary Hawaii Routes were given two-digit numbers whereas Secondary Hawaii Routes were given three-digit numbers.  The Hawaii Routes were assigned in sequence for what Island/County they were located on coupled with what Federal Aid Program number they were tied to.  In the case of the Island of Maui it was assigned numbers in the range of 30-40.  

Hawaii Route 31 as originally defined began at Hawaii Route 30 and followed what is now North Kihei Road and South Kihei Road into Kihei.  From Kihei the routing of Hawaii Route 31 is unclear and may have had a gap between Makena east towards Hawaii Route 37/Kula Highway.  From Hawaii Route 37/Kula Highway the routing of Hawaii Route 31 continued east via Piilani Highway towards Hawaii Route 36 in Hana.  Hawaii Route 31 as originally configured can be seen on the 1959 Gousha Map of Hawaii.  Hawaii Route 31 is noted to be a secondary highway.


During the 1960s the Hawaii Route system was simplified, and numerous segments of important roadways were adopted from the counties.  According hawaiihighways.com North Kihei Road was adopted as State Highway whereas South Kihei Road remained maintained by Maui County.  According to hawaiihighways.com North Kihei Road was reassigned as Hawaii Route 310 but remained field signed as Hawaii Route 31.  

During 1981 the first segment of the State Maintained Hawaii Route 31 on western Piilani Highway in Kihei opened.  During April 1981 Hawaii Route 310 was extended 0.1 miles to reach the new alignment of Hawaii Route 31 in Kihei at western Piilani Highway.  


Part 2; a drive on Hawaii Route 310

Eastbound Hawaii Route 310 originates from Hawaii Route 30/Honoapiilani Highway near Maalaea.  


Hawaii Route 310 eastbound descends towards the waters of Maalaea Bay.  Traffic on Hawaii Route 310 can access Kealia Pond the and Kealia Coastal Boardwalk.  








From Kealia Pond, Hawaii Route 310 continues eastward and intersects former Hawaii Route 31 South Kihei Road.  





Hawaii Route 310 eastbound terminates at the intersection of Hawaii Route 31 and Hawaii Route 311 at the outskirts of Kihei.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third