Former California State Route 248 was a small post-1964 State Highway Renumbering designation of a segment of US Route 66 and early US Route 99 from Pasadena east to Monrovia. Specifically, California State Route 248 originated at California State Route 134 and terminated at Interstate 210 following the Colorado Street Bridge, Colorado Boulevard, Colorado Place, and Huntington Boulevard. Much of California State Route 248 was signed as US Route 66 until 1972 and was gradually relinquished between 1986-1992. Pictured above as the blog cover is the Colorado Street Bridge which was once part of US Route 66, US Route 66 Alternate, and California State Route 248 from 1964-1986.
Part 1; the history of California State Route 248
Part of what would become California State Route 248 would be added to the State Highway System during the 1909 State Highway Bond Act via would become Legislative Route Number (LRN 9). The 1909 First State Highway Bond Act which was ultimately approved by voters in 1910. The majority of the highways approved as part of the First State Highway Bond Act were largely well-established routes such as the corridor between San Fernando east to San Bernardino. At the time of the 1909 First State Highway Bond Act, the State of California could not maintain highways within the boundaries of incorporated cities which left a gap LRN 9 through Pasadena.
In April of 1912, the National Old Trails Road (NOTR) was organized with the goal of signing a transcontinental highway between Baltimore and Los Angeles. Building a modern road for automotive use through the Mojave Desert of California would prove to be particularly difficult as State Highway Maintenance didn't exist, and the general path of travel was alongside the service routes of railroads. The first Auto-Trail through Cajon Pass was the Santa Fe-Grand Canyon Needles National Highway which was first signed in Cajon Pass by 1913. NOTR organizers later adopted the routing of the Santa Fe-Grand Canyon Needles National Highway in the western United States by 1914. The NOTR was able to secure funding to pave the route through Cajon Pass and construct the 1914 Crowder Canyon Bridge.
FHWA.dot.gov National Old Trails Road
From San Bernardino beginning at Mount Vernon Avenue/4th Street, the NOTR followed existing LRN 9 westbound to Pasadena. Upon reaching Pasadena the NOTR branched away from LRN 9. The NOTR westbound jogged south on Santa Anita Avenue to Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena and departed towards Los Angeles via Fair Oaks Avenue. The NOTR followed Fair Oaks Avenue, Huntington Drive, and Broadway into downtown Los Angeles where it terminated at the intersection of Broadway and 7th Street. The early NOTR can be seen on the 1916 National Old Trails Road map below.
The NOTR and National Park-to-Park Highway can be seen following LRN 9 from San Bernardino to Pasadena on the 1924 Rand McNally Map of California. Both highways are shown splitting from LRN 9 in Pasadena towards downtown Los Angeles.
The initial draft of the US Route System was approved by the Secretary of Agriculture in November of 1925. The US Route System within California was approved by California Highway Commission ("CHC") with no changes recommended which can be seen in January 1926 California Highways & Public Works. US Route 99 is given a vague description which had it multiplexed with US Route 60 (not yet US Route 66) from Los Angeles to San Bernardino via LRN 9 east from Pasadena.
Thusly planned US Route 99 and US Route 60 appear on the 1925 Rand McNally Map of California. Both US Route 99 and US Route 60 are shown diverging from LRN 9 towards downtown Los Angeles. The divergence of US Route 99 and US Route 60 from State Maintained LRN 9 is likely due to Los Angeles being used as a control point in both of their route descriptions.
- Mike Roberson