California State Route 106 was a short lived post-1964 Sign State Route. California State Route 106 was defined over what had been Legislative Route Number 190 between California State Route 38 near Redlands to California State Route 30 near Highland via Boulder Avenue and Orange Street. California State Route 106 was consolidated into California State Route 30 via 1972 Legislative Chapter 1216.
The history of California State Route 106
What was to become California State Route 106 (CA 106) entered the State Highway System during 1933 as part of Legislative Route Number 190 (LRN 190). The original definition of LRN 190 was as follows:
"LRN 9 (US Route 66) near San Dimas to LRN 26 (US Route 99) near Redlands via Highland Avenue."
LRN 190 was not assigned one of the original Sign State Routes which were announced in the August 1934 California Highways & Public Works. The future alignment of CA 106 appears on the 1934 Division of Highways Map as LRN 190 on Orange Street between Highland-Redlands.
LRN 190 on Orange Street appears on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of San Bernardino County. Between Highland Avenue and Orange Street the alignment of LRN 190 is shown making numerous jogs, including Baseline Street.
The November/December 1947 California Highways & Public Works announced the construction and paving of a new bridge on LRN 190/Baseline Street had been budgeted for the 1948-49 Fiscal Year.
A contract to construct the realignment of LRN 190 between Baseline Street and Orange Street was announced in the November/December 1948 California Highways & Public Works.
The realignment of LRN 190 connecting Highland Avenue to Orange Street via Boulder Avenue appears on the 1950 Division of Highways Map.
The January/February 1955 California Highways & Public Works announced a contract to expand LRN 190 between CA 30/LRN 207 to Baseline Street to a four-lane divided highway.
An adopted freeway alignment for LRN 190 between Highland and Redlands was announced in the July/August 1963 California Highways & Public Works. The Highland-Redlands Freeway alignment of LRN 190 was selected by the California Highway Commission during their May-June 1963 meetings.
As part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering the Legislative Route Numbers were dropped in favor of field signage. Legislative Route Numbers which didn't have Sign State Routes were assigned them. In the case of LRN 190 between Highland and Redlands it was assigned as CA 106. The original definition of CA 106 was "Route 38 near Redlands to Route 30 near Highland." CA 106 appears for the first time on the 1964 Division of Highways Map.
CA 106 was short lived as 1972 Legislative Chapter 1216 transferred it to a realigned CA 30. CA 30 can be seen replacing CA 106 between Highland and Redlands on the 1975 Caltrans Map.