Skip to main content

Former California State Route 1 in Aptos

The community of Aptos is located in Santa Cruz County along the shores of Monterey Bay.  When California State Route 1 was commissioned during August 1934 it followed existing Legislative Route Number 56 through Aptos on Soquel Drive.  California State Route 1 was realigned onto the present freeway grade during November 1949.  Pictured below is a view of the 1928 Aptos Creek Bridge which was part of California State Route 1 on Soquel Drive in Aptos.  Pictured below is California State Route 1 in Aptos along Soquel Drive as depicted on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Santa Cruz County.  


The history of California State Route 1 in Aptos

Modern Aptos traces its origin to Mexican Rancho Aptos.  Rancho Aptos was granted by the Mexican Government in 1833 Rafael Castro.  Rancho Aptos took its name from Aptos Creek which coursed through from the Santa Cruz Mountains to Monterey Bay.  Castro initially used Rancho Aptos to raise cattle for their hides.  Following California becoming an American State in 1850 the property ownership at Rancho Aptos was recognized and Castro began to lease his lands.  Soon a small town emerged on Rancho Aptos which included a wharf, general store and lumber mill.

During 1872 sugar magnate Charles Spreckels began purchasing large tracts of Castro's land holdings to make way for a Southern Pacific Railroad line.  Aptos came to further prominence when Loma Prieta Lumber Company opened operations and company town of the same name directly north of Aptos in 1883.  The Loma Prieta Lumber Company would actively log the Santa Cruz Mountains north of Aptos until 1923 on land which are now part of The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park.  Aptos can be seen along the locally maintained coastal highway in Santa Cruz County on the 1917 California State Automobile Association Map.  

During 1928 Santa Cruz County constructed a new bridge over Aptos Creek along Soquel Drive.  During 1933 Legislative Route Number 56 (LRN 56) was extended north from Carmel to Fernbridge.  The extension of LRN 56 brought it along the coast of Santa Cruz County which aligned it directly through Aptos on Soquel Drive.  The extension of LRN 56 through Aptos brought the 1928 Aptos Creek Bridge directly under Division of Highways maintenance.  

In the August 1934 California Highways and Public Works the Sign State Routes were announced.  California State Route 1 (CA 1) was applied to the entirety of LRN 56 from Las Cruces northward towards Fortuna which by proxy brought it through Aptos. 


As noted in the intro CA 1/LRN 56 can be seen aligned through Aptos along Soquel Drive on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Santa Cruz County.  

The January/February 1944 California Highways & Public Works announced the expansion of CA 1/LRN 56 to a four-lane divided highway between Santa Cruz and Aptos was added to a list of approved post World War II projects by the California Highway Commission.  


The upcoming freeway alignment of CA 1/LRN 56 between Santa Cruz and Aptos is depicted in a sketch which was featured in May/June 1947 California Highways & Public Works.  The new freeway alignment of CA 1 in Aptos is stated to include two Southern Pacific Railroad underpass structures and a new bridge over Aptos Creek.  


The new Santa Cruz-Aptos freeway alignment of CA 1/LRN 56 is cited to be nearing completion in the November/December 1948 California Highways & Public Works.  The new Santa Cruz-Aptos freeway alignment is cited to span over a project zone originating from Morrissey Avenue in Santa Cruz to Rob Roy Junction south of Aptos.  The Santa Cruz-Aptos freeway is cited to have been constructed over three contracts and was expected to be open to traffic during summer 1949.  


The completed Santa Cruz-Aptos freeway alignment of CA 1/LRN 56 is featured in the November/December 1949 California Highways & Public Works.  The feature article notes the Santa Cruz-Aptos freeway was dedicated on November 4, 1949.  A future extension of the Santa Cruz-Aptos freeway is stated to be planned to connect to the Los Gatos Highway (CA 17).  An aerial photo features the new alignment of CA 1/LRN 56 bypassing Soquel Drive in Aptos.  









Since CA 1 was relocated in Aptos in 1949 it has changed very little in the community in the intervening decades.  During the 1964 State Highway Renumbering the Legislative Route Numbers were dropped which left CA 1 as the sole designation through Aptos.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third