Skip to main content

The strange eastern terminus of US Route 211 in Warrenton, Virginia

US Route 211 is a 59.09-mile US Route entirely contained to the state of Virginia.  US Route 211 was one of the original US Routes which was defined during November 1926.  Since 1980 the eastern terminus of US Route 211 has been located in Warrenton, Virginia at the corner of Lee Highway and Blackwell Road.  The eastern terminus of US Route 211 is notable due to it ending at it's own Business Route which had been created during 1974.  Following US Route 15, US Route 17 and US Route 29 being realigned onto the Warrenton Bypass during 1986 the eastern terminus of US Route 211 has remained disconnected from all mainline US Routes.  Pictured above is the eastern terminus of US Route 211 at Lee Highway and Blackwell Road in Warrenton. 

Note: US Route 211 is a highly scenic corridor which traverses Thornton Gap in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Shenandoah National Park.  During July 2020, Doug Kerr published a blog on Gribblenation pertaining to the entirety of US Route 211:

A morning on Virginia's US Route 211 (gribblenation.org)


Part 1; the history of US Route 211 in Warrenton, Virginia

The US Route System was officially created on November 11, 1926, by the American Association of State Highway Officials.  As originally defined US Route 211 began at US Route 11 in New Market and terminated at US Route 50 in Fairfax.  US Route 211 from the outset was overlaid completely with the Auto Trail known as the Lee Highway.  US Route 211 can be seen plotted from New Market and Fairfax on the 1927 National Map Company sectional map.  

According to usends.com, US Route 211 was extended into the District of Columbia at some point after 1929.  The exact time frame for the extension of US Route 211 to the District of Columbia is unclear as no application appears in the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials database.  US Route 211 ended in the District of Columbia via K Street NW at US Route 1/17th Street NW.  US Route 211 can be seen entering the District of Columbia via Lee Highway in Arlington and the Francis Scott Key Bridge co-signed with US Route 29 on the 1940 Rand McNally Map of Virginia.  

According to usends.com, US Route 211 was withdrawn to the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Arlington at some point after 1948.  No application to withdraw US Route 211 to Arlington is known to exist within the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials database.  US Route 211 can be seen terminating at the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Arlington on the 1956 Gousha Map of the District of Columbia.  

During 1974 the Virginia Department of Transportation submitted an application for US Route 211 and US Route 15 to be realigned in Warrenton.  The below letters from the American Association of State Highway Officials Executive Secretary and Virginia Department of Transportation Deputy Director dated May-June 1974, acknowledges the creation of the US Route 211 and US Route 15 Business Routes in Warrenton.  US Route 211 had been realigned through Warrenton co-signed with US Route 15-29 via Broadview Avenue and Lee Highway.  US Route 211 Business followed the original alignment of the highway through downtown Warrenton via Waterloo Street, Alexandria Pike and Blackwell Road.  


On April 18, 1980, the Virginia Department of Transportation requested US Route 211 being truncated from the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Arlington to the corner of Lee Highway and US Route 15-211 Business at Blackwell Road in Warrenton.  The American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials approved the truncation of US Route 211 to Warrenton on June 24, 1980. 


During late year 1986 US Route 15, US Route 17 and US Route 29 were realigned onto the Warrenton Bypass.  The realignment of US Routes 15-17-29 led to the circumstance existing now where US Route 211 has a floating eastern terminus at Lee Highway/Blackwell Road which is disconnected from another mainline US Route.  


Part 2; a drive on mainline US Route 211 in Warrenton

US Route 211 eastbound enters Warrenton via Lee Highway and Frost Avenue.  US Route 211 eastbound traffic is directed to turn left onto Broadview Avenue with US Route 17 Business northbound and US Route 29 Business eastbound.  US Route 211 Business eastbound is directed to continue straight onto Waterloo Street. 





US Route 211 eastbound follows Broadview Avenue co-signed with US Route 17 Business northbound and US Route 29 Business eastbound.  Strangely US Route 15 northbound signage also appears on Broadview Avenue.  US Route 211 eastbound and US Route 29 Business eastbound depart onto Lee Highway with US Route 17 Truck southbound.  US Route 17 Northbound departs from US Route 211 eastbound via Broadview Avenue.  



US Route 211 eastbound is co-signed on Lee Highway to it's terminus at Blackwell Road with US Route 29 Business eastbound and US Route 17 Truck southbound.  The terminus of US Route 211 is located at the junction of US Route 211 Business and US Route 15 Business.  


From the US Route 211 eastern terminus US Route 29 Business eastbound, US Route 15 Business northbound and US Route 17 Truck southbound continue a short distance on Lee Highway to mainline US Route 15-17-29 at the Warrenton Bypass.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third