Skip to main content

Meriden Covered Bridge - New Hampshire

 


Also known as the Mill Bridge, the Meriden Covered Bridge spans over the Bloods Brook in Meriden (part of Plainfield), New Hampshire. The covered bridge in Sullivan County, New Hampshire is just down the hill from the Kimball Union Academy boarding school on Colby Hill Road, about a mile west of NH 120. The Kingpost through truss designed covered bridge is 82 feet long and is at the site of a popular swimming hole during the summer months.

Built in 1880, the current covered bridge is the third bridge located at this site. The previous two bridges were open timber structures. The present bridge was built by James Tasker for a fee of $465, with Levi Sanderson being paid $220 for building the bridge abutments. After the Meriden Covered Bridge was damaged by Hurricane Carol on August 30, 1954, the bridge was repaired at a cost of $3,000. In 1963, the bridge underwent further restoration and was rebuilt with steel beams that allowed the bridge carry a load of fifteen tons. This is thought to be the first covered bridge in New Hampshire to be repaired under the state's Town Bridge Aid program. In the spring of 1977, heavy snows caused the roof to cave in, with repairs costing $8,296. Further repairs took place in 1985, as the state repaired the substructure for $57,000. The Meriden Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was added on August 27, 1980.



The western portal of the Meriden Covered Bridge.

Inside the covered bridge.

The east portal of the bridge. It looks like there's a placard at the bridge entrance.

Bridge placard.

Near the covered bridge was Kimball's Mill, which is no longer in operation.

And this is why there was a mill. There is a small waterfall that you can see from the covered bridge.

A nice parting shot of the Meriden Covered Bridge as I go along my merry way.


How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
New Hampshire Covered Bridges - Meriden Bridge
Bridgehunter.com - Meriden Covered Bridge 29-10-08
NHTourGuide.com - Meriden Covered Bridge Plainfield
Alps' Roads - Meriden Covered Bridge, Plainfield
Covered Spans of Yesteryear - Meriden or Mill, Sullivan County

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car