Skip to main content

Banks Covered Bridge - Pennsylvania

 


Built in 1889, the Banks Covered Bridge is a Burr Arch truss designed covered bridge in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, spanning over the Neshannock Creek at a length of 129 feet. There aren't many covered bridges that dot the landscape in this corner of western Pennsylvania, but you'll often see local pedestrians, motor vehicles and Amish buggies using the Banks Covered Bridge to get across the creek on their way to places like New Castle, New Wilmington or Volant. The Burr Arch truss design is one that you will often see used for covered bridges throughout the Keystone State

The Banks Covered Bridge is in the heart of Amish country, so it is common to see an Amish horse and buggy on the way to or from the covered bridge. During the season premiere of the fourth season of The West Wing television series, this area of western Pennsylvania doubled as a rural area of Indiana, where President Jed Bartlet (played by Martin Sheen) kicked off his reelection campaign. A nearby farm was used as a set for a campaign trail speech, and the Banks Covered Bridge was featured in the episode.

In 1980, the Banks Covered Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in recognition of its historical significance. The bridge was rehabilitated in 1999 and again in 2021, at a cost of $440,000.











How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Bridgehunter.com - Banks Covered Bridge 38-37-02
Pennsylvania Covered Bridges - Lawrence County
The Classy Chics - The Historic Banks Covered Bridge in New Wilmington
Pennsylvania & Beyond Travel Blog - The Historic Banks Covered Bridge in Lawrence County
New Castle News - Covered bridge to close for repairs
Interesting Pennsylvania and Beyond - Banks Covered Bridge and Neshannock Creek Adventures, Lawrence and Mercer Counties

Update Log:
November 9, 2021 - Crossposted from Quintessential Pennsylvania - Banks Covered Bridge (http://quintessentialpa.blogspot.com/2021/11/banks-covered-bridge.html)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caliente-Bodfish Road

Caliente-Bodish Road is one of the finest driving roads in the southern Sierra Nevada range and has rich history. The approximately thirty-two-mile-long highway connects from Kern River Road in Bodfish south to Bena Road (former US Route 466) via Caliente siding. Caliente-Bodfish Road is a segment of Thomas Baker's stage road which facilitated overland travel to the claims of the Kern River Gold Rush. The Baker Stage Road was constructed during the 1860s-1870s and spanned from the outskirts of Caliente north to the Stockton-Los Angeles Road near Tailholt in Tulare County. The blog cover photo is from the nine-mile segment north of Caliente Creek Road which is known as the "Lion's Trail." Caliente-Bodish Road carries the internal designation of Kern County Road 483. Part 1; the history of Caliente-Bodfish Road Caliente-Bodish Road is a segment of what was Thomas Baker's stage road to Kern River Valley.  The Kern River Gold Rush began in 1853 and spurred devel

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th