Skip to main content

100th Christmas Tree Lane (Van Ness Boulevard, Fresno, California)


2022 marks the 100th Christmas Tree Lane which is held partially in the city of Fresno and Fresno County Island known as Fig Garden.  Christmas Tree Lane is held from the beginning of December to Christmas Day on Van Ness Boulevard between Shields Avenue to Shaw Avenue.  Van Ness Boulevard is adorned with Christmas lights above the roadway and most homeowners put emphasis on creating elaborate decorative displays.  Christmas Tree Lane began during 1920 following the death of a child who once lived along Van Ness Boulevard.  Christmas Tree Lane has only been interrupted by World War II during 1941 and an energy crisis during 1973.  

Christmas Tree Lane in the past typically has held time-night walking events.  These events have been cancelled since 2020 by the Fig Garden Homeowners Association in favor of one-way night-time drives on Van Ness Boulevard.  The only way to access Christmas Tree Lane reliably on foot with crowds since 2020 has been through the Jingle Bell 5K Run charity event.  

The Jingle Bell Run begins on Christmas Tree Lane near the terminus of Van Ness Boulevard just south of Shaw Avenue.  


The Jingle Bell Run loops via Rialto Avenue, Wilson Avenue and Lansing Way to the Fresno city limit at Herndon Canal Number 39 on Van Ness Boulevard.  A Christmas Lane shield has been installed on northbound Van Ness Boulevard which can be viewed at Herndon Canal Number 39.


Overhead Christmas Tree Lane signage can be found on Van Ness Boulevard immediately north of Herndon Canal Number 39.


The first tree to be decorated on Christmas Tree Lane during 1920 can be found at the southeast corner of Van Ness Boulevard and Pontiac Way. 



Various assorted Christmas displays on Van Ness Boulevard north towards the end of the Jingle Bell Run near Rialto Avenue.  
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th