Skip to main content

McKee Covered Bridge - Jackson County, Oregon

 


Built in 1917, the McKee Covered Bridge is one of Oregon's oldest covered bridges. Also known as the Applegate River Covered Bridge, the 122 foot covered Howe truss designed bridge is also one of Oregon's tallest covered bridges, spanning some 45 feet above the Applegate River deep in Southern Oregon. Other features of the McKee Covered Bridge include flying buttresses, open day-lighting windows at the roof line, and a shingle roof. The McKee Covered Bridge not only marks the gateway to Applegate Lake and the Red Butte Wilderness to the south, but is also a window to the history of this corner of Jackson County, Oregon. The rustic looking covered bridge, just eight miles from the California border, was built in 1917 by contractor Jason Hartman along with his sons Wesley and Lyle Hartman on land donated by Adelbert "Deb" McKee.

The McKees lived on a ranch south of the bridge site and their home served as a stage station and halfway point between Jacksonville, Oregon and the Blue Ledge copper mine and town just over the border into California. Lindsay Applegate, for whom the Applegate River is named, prospected the area on the way to the mines in California. The discovery of prosperous mines caused the development of a north-south route in the area, and the covered bridge along with the McKees' ranch were used as a rest stop, due to its location roughly halfway between Jacksonville and the Blue Ledge Cooper Mine to the south. Horses were kept at the ranch for the six or eight horse teams that were hauling ore from the mine, and lodging and board were provided for travelers. When the Blue Ledge Mine opened in 1906, it created an extensive amount of traffic on the Applegate Road. There were two river crossings at the time, Nick Wright’s Ford about three miles upriver, and John Wright’s Ford about five miles downriver. These fords were difficult for the horse driven wagons with their heavy loads of ore. Eventually, Jackson County did away with the fords by building the Eastside Road. Though the new road was an improvement, the road was treacherous depending on road conditions. If you explore the McKee Covered Bridge, you will be able to see remnants of the old road leading up to the Eastside Road.

Finally, in 1917, two wooden covered bridges were built, McKee and Cameron, located about 4 miles downriver along the Applegate Road. This diverted traffic to the west side of the Applegate River, bypassing the hazardous area. The original structure had no openings on the sides, and after a collision it was realized that there was a need for openings on the south side wall so that traffic on the bridge or those approaching from the south could see each other on the single lane bridge. The McKee Covered Bridge was used from 1917 to 1956, originally serving the local mining and logging traffic. In 1956, the bridge was declared unsafe for vehicular traffic. As a result, a new concrete bridge was built nearby and the McKee Covered Bridge went to fallow for a while.

It was not until 1965 when the combined efforts of the Talisman Lodge, Knights of Pythias, Upper Applegate Grange, and the Jackson County Court restored the roof after damage caused by flooding in 1964. This kept the aging bridge open for pedestrian use. However, little upkeep followed, and by the early 1980s, Jackson County officials were worried about the strength of the bridge, which led to Jackson County ceasing financing ongoing inspections and repairs in 1985. During the summer of 1985, more than $40,000 in labor and materials were dedicated to repair the bridge and keep it open for pedestrians. Jackson County officials then announced that future county investment in the bridge would be impractical, and has looked to private efforts for ongoing preservation of the McKee Covered Bridge, which led to the community forming the McKee Committee in 1989, and later, the McKee Bridge Historical Society. Any bridge restorations are now funded by grants and fundraising.

Getting to the McKee Covered Bridge is easy to get to, just follow the Upper Applegate Road south about 9 miles from OR 238 in Ruch. There is a picnic area next to the covered bridge for passive recreation and the Applegate River is used as a local swimming hole near the bridge. The picnic area is a facility operated by the Rouge River-Siskiyou National Forest. In order to protect the wood for the covered bridge from graffiti, message boards have been placed inside the bridge for visitors to leave their mark in a way that doesn't detract from the bridge's condition, integrity and beauty. The year that the bridge was built is stamped on the entrance way of the covered bridge, adding to its uniqueness among covered bridges in Oregon and elsewhere. I checked out the McKee Covered Bridge one spring morning and had a wonderful, relaxing visit to this charming covered bridge that holds a special place among the covered bridges of Oregon.

Looking at the side of the covered bridge.

The north portal of the covered bridge.

Inside the covered bridge. Here you can find interpretive information about the covered bridge as well as a few message boards.

Inside the covered bridge.

McKee Covered Bridge historic marker outside the bridge.

Sign inside the bridge commemorating the restoration of the bridge's roof in 1965.

McKee Bridge historical interpretive sign.

Looking north at the Applegate River.

Looking south towards the Siskiyou Mountains and the Applegate River.

How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Bridgehunter.com - McKee Covered Bridge 37-15-06
Oregon.com - Applegate River (McKee) Covered Bridge
Applegate Valley Connect - McKee Bridge Historical Society
McKee Bridge Historical Society - McKee Bridge & the Upper Applegate Valley
What to Do in Southern Oregon - McKee Bridge Swimming Hole and Covered Bridge Day Trip

Comments

Unknown said…
I greatly enjoy this article, the lovely photos, and the link to the McKee Bridge Historical Society website. I would offer one correction: Lindsey Applegate did not prospect in this area at any time. He traveled down ranges far to the west, looking for a pack route, and happened to glimpse a river and valley that became associated with this name. There is no indication that Lindsey ever set foot in Applegate Valley proper, and he certainly was never in the area where McKee Bridge now stands. The very first prospectors reached here in 1852, William Dorn and J.J. Elliott in particular.

Regards,
Laura Ahearn,
President, McKee Bridge Historical Society

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Huey P. Long Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

The decade of the 1930s brought unprecedented growth and development to Louisiana’s transportation infrastructure as the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge cemented their place as leading urban centers on the Gulf Coast. In the immediate aftermath of the success garnered by the construction of the massive bridge on the Mississippi River near New Orleans in 1935, planning and construction commenced on the state’s second bridge over the great river. This new bridge, located on the north side of Baton Rouge, was to be similar in design and form to its downriver predecessor. Completed in 1940 as the second bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the Baton Rouge area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Governor of the State from 1928 to 1932, then as U.S. Senator from 1932 until his death by assassination at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on September 10, 1935