Skip to main content

Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge


Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge is a lost structure which once served the mining town of Lancha Plana in Amador County, California.  Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge spanned the Mokelumne River as one of the first suspension bridges constructed in California.  Pictured as the blog cover photo is the abandoned Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.  Lancha Plana and the site of Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge were flooded when the Commanche Reservoir began to form in 1963.  



The history of Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge

Lancha Plana had been settled by Mexican Miners during 1848. Lancha Plana had continuous Post Office service from 1859-1919. Lancha Plana was located along a stage road between Jackson and Jenny Lind. In 1856 Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge was constructed at the Mokelumne River to facilitate easier crossings between Amador County and Calaveras County.

Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge is referenced in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works as being 300 feet long and being built to a standard which withstood the infamous floods of 1862. The article stub notes the structure was then in a state of abandonment with the cables rusted and timber deck lost to age.



The site of Lancha Plana and Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge can be seen west of Campo Seco on the 1873 Bancroft's Map of California.  


Lancha Plana and the site of Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge can be seen on the 1889 United States Geological Map of Jackson.  Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge was located immediately west of modern Buena Vista Road.  


The 1935 Division of Highways Map of Amador County is one of the last to shown Lancha Plana and the site of Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge in substantial detail.  Westmoreland's Bridge can be seen spanning the Mokelumne River and connecting Buena Vista Road with Calaveras County.  The major county road is shown branching west directly through Lancha Plana into Calaveras County towards Camanche.  It isn't clear when Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge was abandoned.  


The site of Lancha Plana and Westmoreland's Suspension Bridge were flooded when the Camanche Reservoir began to form in 1963.  Camanche Dam would be completed during 1964 by the East Bay Municipal Utilities District.  It isn't fully clear if any remains of the structure remain underneath the waters of the Camanche Reservoir.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bayshore Freeway (US Route 101)

The Bayshore Freeway is a 56.4-mile component of US Route 101 located in the San Francisco Bay Area.  The Bayshore Freeway connects the southern extent of San Jose to the Central Freeway in the city of San Francisco.  The corridor was originally developed as the Bayshore Highway between 1923 and 1937.  The Bayshore Highway would serve briefly as mainline US Route 101 before being reassigned as US Route 101 Bypass in 1938.  Conceptually the designs for the Bayshore Freeway originated in 1940 but construction would be delayed until 1947.  The Bayshore Freeway was completed by 1962 and became mainline US Route 101 during June 1963.   Part 1; the history of the Bayshore Freeway Prior the creation of the Bayshore Highway corridor the most commonly used highway between San Jose and San Francisco was El Camino Real (alternatively known as Peninsula Highway).  The  American El Camino Real  began as an early example of a signed as an Auto Trail starting in 1906.  The era of State Highway Mainte

The Central Freeway of San Francisco (US Route 101)

The Central Freeway is a 1.2-mile elevated limited access corridor in the city of San Francisco.  As presently configured the Central Freeway connects from the end of the Bayshore Freeway to Market Street.  The Central Freeway carries the mainline of northbound US Route 101 from the Bayshore Freeway to Mission Street. The Central Freeway has origins with the establishment of Legislative Route Number 223 and is heavily tied to the history of the once proposed Panhandle Freeway.  The Central Freeway between the Bayshore Freeway and Mission Street was completed during 1955.  The corridor was extended to a one-way couplet located at Turk Street and Golden Gate Avenue in 1959 which served to connect US Route 101 to Van Ness Avenue.  The Central Freeway was damaged by the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake and has since been truncated to Market Street.   The Central Freeway as pictured on the blog cover was featured in the May/June 1959 California Highways & Public Works.  The scan below is fro

Former US Route 101 and California State Route 41 through Paso Robles

Paso Robles is a city located on the Salinas River of San Luis Obispo County, California.  As originally configured the surface alignments of US Route 101 and California State Route 41 converged in downtown Paso Robles.  US Route 101 originally was aligned through Paso Robles via Spring Street.  California State Route 41 entered the City of Paso Robles via Union Road and 13th Street where it intersected US Route 101 at Spring Street.  US Route 101 and California State Route 41 departed Paso Robles southbound via a multiplex which split near Templeton.   Pictured above is the cover of the September/October 1957 California Highways & Public Works which features construction of the Paso Robles Bypass.  Pictured below is the 1935 Division of Highways Map of San Luis Obispo County which depicts US Route 101 and California State Route 41 intersecting in downtown Paso Robles.   Part 1; the history of US Route 101 and California State Route 41 in Paso Robles Paso Robles ("Pass of the