Skip to main content

US Route 191Y


US Roure 191Y is a hidden State Highway designation on Page Ranch Road in Cochise County, Arizona.  US Route 191Y is a 3.5-mile spur of US Route 191 which originates at Interstate 10 Exit 355 and terminates to the northwest via Page Ranch Road at mainline US Route 191.  US Route 191Y is not a signed highway but nonetheless has Arizona Department of Transportation mile markers reflecting mileage from mainline US Route 191.  Page Ranch Road was added to the Arizona State Highway system as US Route 666Y during 1958.  During 1992 US Route 191 was extended south to the Mexican border which led to Page Ranch Road being reassigned as US Route 191Y. 


Part 1; the history of US Route 191Y

What is now US Route 191Y and Page Ranch Road was added to the Arizona State Highway System during September 9, 1927, as Arizona State Route 81.  Arizona State Route 81 originated at US Route 80 near Douglas and terminated at the US Route 180 in Safford.  Arizona State Route 81 can be seen aligned past Bowie Junction and modern Page Ranch Road on the 1927 Arizona State Highway Commission Map.  

Arizona State Route 81 was one of the original Arizona State Routes to be defined.  

During the December 8, 1938, American Association of State Highway Officials (AASHO) meeting the Executive Commitee approved an Arizona Highway Commission request to extend US Route 666 to US Route 80.  The extension of US Route 666 subsumed the entirety of Arizona State Route 81.  

US Route 666 appears co-assigned with Arizona State Route 81 on the corridor of Page Ranch Road towards Bowie Junction on the 1939 Rand McNally Map of Arizona.  

One of the earliest highway maps to display Page Ranch Road split from US Route 666 is the 1948 Rand McNally Map of Arizona.  Page Ranch Road is displayed as a locally maintained roadway connecting from Arizona State Route 86 at Bowie Junction northwest to US Route 666.  


US Route 666Y was created via a right-of-way resolution dated January 24, 1958


According to the 2013 Arizona Department of Transportation mileage log, Page Ranch Road was built to state standards during 1961.  The mileage log notes Page Ranch Road to currently be part of US Route 191Y.  The US Route 191Y designation for Page Ranch Road during 1961 would have been US Route 666Y.  State maintenance of Page Ranch Road is noted to have been 3.11 miles during 1961.  


The first half mile of US Route 666Y appears to have been realigned at some point during the 1960s during the construction of the Luzena Interchange (Exit 355) of Interstate 10 at Bowie Junction.  The construction of Luzena Interchange extended US Route 666Y to a length of 3.5 miles.  The razed older grade of Page Ranch Road and US Route 666Y can be seen on Google satellite images.  

On May 8, 1992, the Arizona Department of Transportation submitted an application to AASHTO eliminate US Route 666 in the state.  The application came with a secondary request to extend US Route 191 from Chambers south to the Mexican border in Douglas over the existing routing of US Route 666.  Both requests were approved by the AASHTO Executive Committee on June 15, 1992.  






The extension of US Route 191 led to the redesignation US Route 666Y on Arizona Department of Transportation logbooks as US Route 191Y on September 18, 1992.  US Route 191Y is not an officially recognized US Route by AASHTO.  




Part 2; a drive on US Route 191Y

From southbound US Route 191 intersects US Route 191Y at Page Ranch Road approaching Mile Marker 90.  US Route 191Y/Page Ranch Road is simply signed as "3 miles to Interstate 10" from southbound mainline US Route 191.  Note: all photos in this section in addition to the blog cover were taken by Adam Prince.  



The view from the north terminus of US Route 191Y facing towards Mount Graham. 



The view south on US Route 191Y/Page Ranch Road towards Interstate 10 Exit 355.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

The Putah Creek Bridge of Monticello (former California State Route 28)

The Putah Creek Bridge was a masonry structure constructed during 1896 by Napa County to serve the community of Monticello.  The Putah Creek Bridge would be annexed into the State Highway System in 1933 when Legislative Route Number 6 was extended from Woodland Junction to Napa.  The Putah Creek Bridge was a component of the original California State Route 28 from 1934-1952.  The span briefly became part of California State Route 128 in 1953 until the highway was relocated as part of the Monticello Dam project in 1955.  Today the Putah Creek Bridge sits at the bottom of the Lake Berryessa reservoir and is accessible to divers.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Putah Creek Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.   California State Route 28 can be seen crossing the Putah Creek Bridge near Monticello on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Copay.   The history of the Putah Creek Bridge The site of Monticello lies under the waters