Skip to main content

The first California State Route 245


The original California State Route 245 was a short lived post-1964 State Route located on Downey Road east of the Los Angeles City Limit.  The original California State Route 245 was aligned along Downey Road from the planned California State Route 60 Pomona Freeway south to Interstate 5 and the Santa Ana Freeway.  The original California State Route 245 was deleted by way of 1965 Legislative Chapter 1372 but remained an active highway until the opening of the Pomona Freeway.  


The history of the original California State Route 245

What was to become the original California State Route 245 entered the State Highway System during 1933 as part of Legislative Route Number 166 (LRN 166).  The original definition of LRN 166 was as follows:

"Los Angeles, Downey Road and 3rd Streets to the Huntington Beach-Whittier Road near Santa Fe Springs."

The initial definition of LRN 166 was appears for the first time on the 1934 Division of Highways Map.  LRN 166 also appears along Indiana Street between 3rd Street and 9th Street.  


Indiana Street appears in detail on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Los Angeles as a component of LRN 166 between 3rd Street and 9th Street.  

1941 Legislative Chapter 142 altered the definition of LRN 166 by way of changing the defined endpoints.  The new definition of LRN 166 was follows:

"LRN 172 (3rd Street) at the intersection of Downey Road to LRN 174 near Norwalk." 

LRN 166 between 3rd Street and 9th Street is shown shifted from Indiana Street to Downey Road on the 1942 Division of Highways Map.  LRN 166 on Downey Road between Whittier Boulevard and 9th Street is shown to be a component of US Route 101 Bypass.  Note: US Route 101 Bypass had appeared on the 1940 Division of Highways Map when LRN 166 was still routed along Indiana Street. 



The January/February 1952 California Highways & Public Works announced the Santa Ana Freeway (US Route 101 Bypass) was expected to be complete between Rosemead Boulevard and the Los Angeles Civic Center by late year 1952 or early 1953.  The article notes US Route 101 Bypass traffic would still need to utilize Lakewood Boulevard and Firestone Boulevard due the Santa Ana Freeway east of Rosemead Boulevard to Norwalk not likely opening for several more years. 



The 1953 Division of Highways Map depicts a new spur routing of LRN 2 existing as part of the Santa Ana Freeway west of Downey Road/LRN 166 towards downtown Los Angeles.  LRN 166 along Downey Road is shown connecting as south of Whittier Boulevard to the Santa Ana Freeway.  It isn't clear if the Santa Ana Freeway west of Downey Road was signed as US Route 101 or US Route 101 Bypass. 


The 1954 Division of Highways Map shows the Santa Ana Freeway completed to Pioneer Boulevard near Norwalk.  Mainline US Route 101 is shown realigned onto the Santa Ana Freeway (LRN 166), an interim routing on Pioneer Boulevard and Firestone Boulevard/Manchester Boulevard (LRN 174) between Los Angeles-Anaheim.  The former mainline of US Route 101 on LRN 2 is shown to no longer be part of the highway.  US Route 101 is shown shifted onto the Hollywood Freeway south of Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood through downtown Los Angeles.  US Route 66 moved to a multiplex of US Route 101 along the Hollywood Freeway from the Arroyo Seco Parkway to Santa Monica Boulevard.  US Route 101 Bypass is shown to be entirely eliminated and Downey Road/LRN 166 is shown without a sign route designation.  



As part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering the Legislative Route Numbers were deleted in favor of Sign Route Designations.  What had been LRN 166 on Indiana Street was reassigned as the original California State Route 245.  The original definition of California State Route 245 on Downey Road was as follows:

"Route 5 (Interstate 5) near Los Angeles to Route 60 at the intersection of Downey Road."  

The original California State Route 245 appears on the 1964 Division of Highways Map.  

The original California State Route 245 was deleted from the State Highway System by way of 1965 Legislative Chapter 1372.  Despite being deleted the original California State Route 245 appears on Division of Highways Maps as late as the 1967 edition.  The measure keeping Downey Road active in the State Highway System seems to have been a place holder awaiting the opening of the Pomona Freeway (California State Route 60). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh