Skip to main content

Former Arizona State Route 89L

Arizona State Route 89L was a 3.41-mile state highway which once existed in the city of Page.  Arizona State Route 89L served as loop of US Route 89 which followed Lake Powell Boulevard.  Arizona State Route 89L was commissioned during 1968 and was ultimately abandoned during 2001.  Despite Arizona State Route 89L essentially serving as a business loop of US Route 89 a formal designation was never sought with the American Association of State Highway Officials.  Arizona State Route 89L is the only Arizona State Highway to carry an "L" suffix.  Featured as the blog cover is the 1985 United States Geological Survey Map of Page which depicts Arizona State Route 89L as "US Route 89 Loop." 

The history of Arizona State Route 89L

Page was founded during 1957 as a town to house workers constructing Glen Canyon Dam.  Construction of Glen Canyon Dam and Page came in conjunction with a new highway over the Colorado River.  This culminated with the completion of Glen Canyon Dam Bridge in 1959.  Glen Canyon Dam Bridge is a 1,271-foot-long span which has a 700-foot clearance above the Colorado River.  Glen Canyon Dam Bridge can be seen below in a series of photos taken during 2010. 

Following completion of Glen Canyon Dam Bridge, the Arizona State Highway Commission would submit an application to American Association of State Highways Officials (AASH) to realign mainline US Route 89 onto the structure.  The application to realign US Route 89 through Page and over Glen Canyon Dam Bridge was approved by the AASHO Executive Committee on June 11, 1959.  A secondary part of the request was to establish US Route 89 Alternate over the original routing of US Route 89 over the Navajo Bridge towards Fredonia. 

Glen Canyon Dam was completed during 1966.  The Arizona State Highway Commission established Arizona State Route 89L on February 21, 1968.  Arizona State Route 89L was established as a loop of US Route 89 along what is now Lake Powell Boulevard.  It is unclear why the Arizona State Highway Commission never sought an official US Route 89 Business Loop designation from AASHO.  

The Glen Canyon National Recreation Area was established on October 27, 1972.  During 1974 the Arizona State Highway Commission adopted Navajo Route 22 as Arizona State Route 98.  The original northern terminus of Arizona State Route 98 was located at Arizona State Route 89L via Coppermine Road.  

Page would incorporate formally on March 1, 1975.  Arizona State Route 89L appears as "US Route 89 Loop" along Lake Powell Boulevard on the 1985 United States Geological Survey map of Page.  

One of the few known images of an Arizona State Route 89L sign can be seen hosted on

The 1998 Arizona Department of Transportation logbook note Arizona State Roure 89L was 3.41 miles long.  Mileage on Arizona State Route 89L is noted to have been continuous with US Route 89.  

Arizona State Route 98 was realigned south of Page during 1998.  The new alignment of Arizona State Route 98 shifted it away from Arizona State Route 89L to a new terminus at US Route 89.

Arizona State Route 89L was abandoned by the Arizona Department of Transportation on December 14, 2001.  Lake Powell Boulevard was relinquished back to the city of Page for maintenance.  


Popular posts from this blog

Dillon Road

Dillon Road is a 34.2-mile highway located in northern Coachella Valley of Riverside County, California.  Dillon Road begins at Avenue 48 on the outskirts of Indio and ends to the west at California State Route 62 near San Gorgonio Pass.  Dillon Road was developed the 1930s as a construction road for the Colorado River Aqueduct.  Dillon Road serves as a northern bypass to much of the development of Coachella Valley.  Dillon Road is known for it's frequent dips and spectacular views of San Gorgonio Pass.   Part 1; the history of Dillon Road Dillon Road was constructed as a haul road for the Colorado River Aqueduct through Coachella Valley.  The Colorado River Aqueduct spans 242 miles from Parker Dam on the Colorado River west to Lake Mathews near Corona.  Construction of the Colorado River Aqueduct began during January 1933 near Thousand Palms and was made functional on January 7, 1939.  West of Berdoo Canyon Road the alignment of Dillon Road is largely concurrent with the Colorado

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road is an approximately 21-mile highway located in southeast Kern County.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road begins at Tehachapi Boulevard (former US Route 466) in Tehachapi and crosses the Tehachapi Mountains via the 4,820-foot-high Oak Creek Pass.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road enters Antelope Valley of the wider Mojave Desert and passes by the historic stage station of Willow Springs to a southern terminus at Rosamond Boulevard.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road has historic ties to the Havilah-Los Angeles Road and Stockton-Los Angeles Road due to the once reliable presence of water at Willow Springs. Part 1; the history of Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road Oak Creek Pass and Willow Springs were known to the local tribes of the Tehachapi Mountains for generations.  The first documented European crossing of Oak Creek Pass was during 1776 as part of an expedition by Francisco Garces.  Oak Creek Pass is as used again by John C. Fremont during an 1844-1845 expedition to e

The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge

The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a derelict structure located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Placer County, California.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge can be found between the communities of Colfax and Iowa Hill.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a wire suspension structure which spans the North Fork American River.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge was replaced by a modern span and converted to pedestrian use following floods during 1963.   Part 1; the history of the 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge During 1853 gold was discovered at what to become Iowa Hill.  The gold mining claims soon led to a small community known as Iowa City being established.   By 1854, Post Office Service began at the mines of Iowa City.  By 1856 gold production at Iowa City was estimated to be around $100,000.  Iowa City was burned in fires during 1857 and 1862 but the community was rebuilt with more modernized structures.   The location of Iowa City can be seen as "Iowa Hill" on the 1873 Bancroft