Skip to main content

Keefers Mill Covered Bridge - Washingtonville, Pennsylvania

  


Spanning 75 feet across the Chillisquaque Creek on Keefer Mill Road near Washingtonville in Montour County, Pennsylvania is the Keefers Mill Covered Bridge. Also known as the Keefer Covered Bridge No. 7 in Montour County's covered bridge inventory, it is the only remaining bridge that is located entirely within Montour County, although some covered bridges cross the border of the county. The bridge was built in 1853 by George Butler at a cost of $498.00. Butler designed and built the covered bridge using a Burr arch truss design.

The site of the Keefers Mill Covered Bridge was near Geringer's Mill, but not much is known of that mill. However, records do list the builder of the mill as George W. Keefer, who built a number of mills and covered bridges throughout north central Pennsylvania and it is quite possible that the covered bridge was named for Keefer. The covered bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and was rehabilitated in 1983 after sitting idle since 1976. Funds from liquid fuel taxes were used to rehabilitate the covered bridge, and $38,500 was used from that tax fund for its reconstruction.

As you may notice, the covered bridge has a square opening, which is unusual for covered bridges found in Pennsylvania. The panels at the bridge's portals that give the Keefers Mill Covered Bridge that unique look create a square opening that are called storefront panels. If you are visiting the bridge, you will find that it is set on a quiet road. There are a couple of pulloffs near the bridge that are small enough for a single car to fit. There are a few trees located along the Chillisquaque Creek that lend to the covered bridge's surroundings, but seem to get in the way for bridge photography.






How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Valley Girl Views - Keefers Mill Covered Bridge
Bridgehunter.com - Keefer Covered Bridge 38-47-03
UncoveringPA - Visiting the Covered Bridges of Montour County, PA


Update Log:
February 18, 2022 - Crossposted to Quintessential Pennsylvania - https://quintessentialpa.blogspot.com/2022/02/keefers-mill-covered-bridge.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car