Skip to main content

Cape May Lighthouse

 


The Cape May Lighthouse stands at the southern tip of New Jersey in the village of Cape May Point, overlooking both the Atlantic Ocean and the mouth of Delaware Bay. This historic structure has been in place since 1859 and is the 3rd permanent lighthouse structure to stand in the area since 1823. This lighthouse stands 157 ft tall on the grounds of Cape May Point State Park, which is also home to various outdoor recreational facilities set against the dramatic backdrop of an Atlantic Ocean beachfront.

Still in active navigational use today, the lighthouse’s operations have been automated since 1946. It has been listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places since 1973. Its interior structural design enables it to withstand wind forces well in excess of the strongest hurricanes to ever threaten the Jersey Shore. The lighthouse is located near the south end of the scenic Ocean Drive highway, a coastal route built to connect the barrier island communities of Cape May and Atlantic Counties between Cape May Point and Atlantic City.

The  following images are a mix taken from both ground level and from the air on the grounds of Cape May Point State Park, the latter group coming courtesy of a DJI quadcopter drone.







Location: 215 Light House Ave, Cape May, NJ 08204

Cape May Lighthouse -- lighthousefriends.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Huey P. Long Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

The decade of the 1930s brought unprecedented growth and development to Louisiana’s transportation infrastructure as the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge cemented their place as leading urban centers on the Gulf Coast. In the immediate aftermath of the success garnered by the construction of the massive bridge on the Mississippi River near New Orleans in 1935, planning and construction commenced on the state’s second bridge over the great river. This new bridge, located on the north side of Baton Rouge, was to be similar in design and form to its downriver predecessor. Completed in 1940 as the second bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the Baton Rouge area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Governor of the State from 1928 to 1932, then as U.S. Senator from 1932 until his death by assassination at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on September 10, 1935