Skip to main content

Saint Augustine Lighthouse

The historic St. Augustine Lighthouse towers above nearby Anastasia Island. The 165 foot structure began operation in 1874.  It is the second lighthouse to occupy the island.  The first, a 73 foot brick tower and built slightly to the east, began operation in 1824.  The original lighthouse was part of the old Coquina Watchtower built by the Spanish in 1683.  When Florida became a United States Territory in 1821, the Territorial Council requested funds to convert the watchtower to a lighthouse.  It opened three years later as Florida's first lighthouse.

The lightkeepers home - which now serves as the Maritime Museum.

Nearly three decades and one Civil War later, the original lighthouse was in danger of falling into the Atlantic.  In 1871, construction began on the current tower which is constructed of brick and sits on a concrete foundation.  By 1880, both the coquina keeper's house and former lighthouse had fallen into the ocean.  The lighthouse served as a lookout in three wars, the Spanish-American, World War I, and World War II. The lighthouse has two sisters: Currituck and Bodie Island.  Both in North Carolina, they are built of the same design, only the paint schemes are different. 

The dizzying staircase of the St. Augustine Lighthouse

Entrance to the lighthouse is $12.95 per adult ($10.95 for seniors and children under 12).  Admission includes a self guided tour of the lightkeeper's home and the opportunity to climb to the top of the lighthouse.  There are also special ghost and sunset tours available at a higher price.

St. Augustine as seen from the top of the lighthouse

All photos taken by post author - October 19, 2011.

Sources & Links:
How To Get There:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th