Skip to main content

California State Route 45

Following a day trip to the Bay Area I headed northward into Sacramento Valley to drive some more off the beaten path State Routes.  One such route that caught my eye was California State Route 45.


CA 45 is a 70 mile north/south State Highway which begins at CA 113 in Knight's Landing of Yolo County.  CA 45 follows the western bank of the Sacramento River through Colusa County to CA 32 in Hamilton of Glenn County.  CA 45 being an extremely rural corridor is largely unchanged from when it was first signed in 1934.

The route of CA 45 was defined as Legislative Route Number 88 which was adopted in 1933 according to CAhighways.org.

CAhighways.org on LRN 88

LRN 88 was originally adopted in two segments:

-  Knights Landing north to Sycamore just south of Colusa.
-  Glenn north to Hamilton.

CA 45 was originally signed in the segments of LRN 88 described above.  Despite the gap in CA 45/LRN 88 there is a strong likelihood that the California Division of Highways signed the route anyways between Colusa north to Glenn on County Maintained roadways.  Prior to 1940 the practice of signing State Highways on non-State Maintained roadways was common.  This along with the gap in CA 45 can be seen on the 1938 State Highway Map.

1938 State Highway Map

The gap in CA 45/LRN 88 was filled in between Colusa and Glenn by 1959.  The complete route of CA 45/LRN 88 first appears on the 1960 State Highway Map.

1960 State Highway Map

By the 1964 State Highway renumbering LRN 88 simply became CA 45 which can be seen comparing the 1963/1964 State Highway Maps.  The corridor of CA 45 really hasn't had much additional change since 1964.

1963 State Highway Map

1964 State Highway Map 

My journey on CA 45 northbound started from CA 113 in Knight's Landing.  As stated above the southern terminus of CA 45 is located in Yolo County.


CA 45 north exits Knight's Landing on 4th Street.  CA 45 rises over a canal is signed with an advisory for trucks over 30 feet in length.



The southern segment of CA 45 north to the Colusa County Line is extremely curvy and features numerous 90 degree turns through the farm land.  This segment of CA 45 strays from the western bank of the Sacramento River only by a couple miles at most.












At El Dorado Bend CA 45 north encounters Signed County Route E11 at Road 98A.  CA 45 closely follows the Sacramento River and features numerous pumping plants of Reclamation District 108.






CA 45 north breaks away from the Sacramento River again through the farm lands.  The views of the surrounding mountains are a nice feature on a clear day.







Near the Colusa County line the Sutter Buttes can be seen off in the distance on CA 45 north.


The Colusa County Line is signed with a heavily weathered sign on CA 45 north.


CA 45 north in Colusa County is known as the Purple Heart Trail.


The Sutter Buttes gets increasingly closer as CA 45 nears Grime.  CA 45 approaches the Sacramento River bank and enters Grimes on 2nd Street.














CA 45 north makes a left turn on Main Street in downtown Grimes.  Grimes apparently pre-dates American California being plotted out 1844.



CA 45 north exits Grimes on Main Street.








5 Miles north of Grimes CA 45 passes by the Grand Island Shrine.  The Grand Island Shrine was the site of the first Catholic Mass in Colusa County in 1856.  The Grand Island Shrine was built in 1883 and still stands.







CA 45 north of the Grand Island Shrine gradually approaches CA 20.  There is a cut-off access to CA 20 via Sycamore Cut-off.




CA 45 north meets CA 20 just south of Colusa.  CA 45 north begins a multiplex with CA 20 wet towards Colusa.





From the junction of CA 45 and CA 20 the full width of the Sutter Buttes can be seen over the banks of the Sacramento River.  The Sutter Buttes are a small mountain range which rises abruptly through the center of Sacramento Valley.  The Sutter Buttes are the remains of an extinct volcanic range which ascend to a peak elevation of 2,122 feet above sea level.   Volcanic activity in the Sutter Buttes ended about 1,400,000 years ago and the range might have once been the southern extent of Cascade Volcanic Range.  The Sutter Buttes were first observed by the Spanish in 1806 and they were called "the Three Buttes" by John Sutter in 1843. 


Colusa is signed 4 miles away from the junction of CA 45 and CA 20.  CA 45 north and CA 20 west multiplex into Colusa onto Bridge Street.





CA 45 north/CA 20 west make a turn off Bridge Street into downtown Colusa on Market Street.





CA 45 north/CA 20 west are well signed entering downtown Colusa on Market Street.



The Colusa County Court House is located on CA 45 north/CA 20 west on Market Street.  Colusa is the County Seat of it's namesake County.  The Colusa County Courthouse was completed in 1861 and is the second oldest active Courthouse in California after the Mariposa County Courthouse.  Colusa County was one of the original 1850 California Counties.






Colusa Sacramento River State Park is accessible form CA 45 north/CA 20 west on Market Street in Colusa.


CA 45 north/CA 20 west split at 10th Street.  CA 45 north exits Colusa on Market Street.





Princeton is signed 9 miles away from Colusa on CA 45 north.


CA 45 north enters Princeton on Princeton Road.  Access to I-5 is signed via Norman Road.




CA 45 north of Princeton ascends to a levee above the Sacramento River to the Glenn County Line.




CA 45 continues north to Biggs-Willows Road where it meets CA 162.  Hamilton City is signed as 20 miles to the north on CA 45 from the junction with CA 162.






CA 45 north/CA 162 west multiplex to Glenn where both routes split away.  CA 162 west heads towards the Glenn County seat of Willows whereas CA 45 continues north towards Hamilton.  Post Office Service in Glenn dates back to the early 1900s.  There isn't much in the community now aside from what appears to be an older service station.



Hamilton is signed as 16 miles to the north on CA 45 from Glenn.


CA 45 ascends another series of levees northward towards Ord Bend.






CA 45 north continues almost directly from Ord Bend to Hamilton City.  CA 45 north enters Hamilton City on Canal Street.




CA 45 north ends in Hamilton City at CA 32 on 6th Street.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 24 through the Kennedy Tunnel and Old Tunnel Road

 Near the eastern City Limit of Oakland high in the Berkeley Hills one can be find the ruins of the Kennedy Tunnel at the intersection of Old Tunnel Road and Skyline Boulevard.  The Kennedy Tunnel opened in 1903 and was the first semi-modern automotive corridor which crossed the Alameda County-Contra Costa County Line.  The Kennedy Tunnel even saw service briefly as part of California State Route 24 before the first two bores of the Caldecott Tunnel opened in 1937.   Part 1; the history of the Kennedy Tunnel The genesis point for California State Route 24 ("CA 24") being extended into the San Francisco Bay Area begins a couple years before the Sign State Routes were announced when Legislative Route Number 75 ("LRN 75") was added by 1931 Legislative Chapter 82.  According to cahighways.org the original definition of LRN 75 was as simply "Walnut Creek to Oakland."  The instigator for the adoption of LRN 75 was construct a replacement route for the Ken

The original alignment of California State Route 1 in San Francisco

In 2019 the Gribblenation Blog Series covered the history of the Hyde Street Pier and the original surface alignment of US Route 101 in San Francisco.  Given the Golden Gate Bridge opened to traffic in May of 1937 coupled with the fact that the Sign State Routes had been announced in August of 1934 there were still some open questions regarding the original highway alignments in San Francisco.  Namely the question of this blog is; where was California State Route 1 prior to the completion of the Golden Gate Bridge?  Thanks the to the discovery of a 1936 Shell Highway Map of San Francisco and the California Highways & Public Works the answer can be conveyed clearly.     Part 1; the history of early California State Route 1 in San Francisco The genesis point for California State Route 1 ("CA 1") in San Francisco dates to 1933.  1933 was significant due to the State Legislature allowing the Division of Highways to assume maintenance of highways in Cities for the first time. 

Santa Clara County Route G8 and the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine

Santa Clara County Route G8 is a 29.38 mile County Sign Route which is part of the San Francisco Bay Area transportation corridor.  Santa Clara County Route G8 begins at California State Route 152 near the outskirts of Gilroy and terminates at former US Route 101 at 1st Street/Monterey Road near downtown San Jose.  Santa Clara County Route G8 incorporates the notable Almaden Expressway and is historically tied to the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine.   (Santa Clara County Route G8 map image courtesy CAhighways.org) Part 1; the history of Santa Clara County Route G8, the Almaden Road corridor and New Almaden Mine The present corridor of Santa Clara County Route G8 ("G8") began to take shape with the emergence of the Almaden Expressway.  According to the October 1960 California Highways & Public Works Unit 1 of the Almaden Expressway opened in November of 1959 between Alma Avenue near downtown San Jose south to the Guadalupe River as part of a Federal Highway Aid Secondary pro