Skip to main content

Patrick County, Virginia Covered Bridges

Patrick County is home to two of Virginia's eight remaining covered bridges eighty years and older.  The two bridges, Bob White and Jacks Creek, are located within miles of each other off of VA Route 8.

Bob White Covered Bridge:
 
Just off of Route 8 in Woolwine sits the Bob White Covered Bridge.  Built in 1921, the 80' Burr Truss bridge over the Smith River is one of the last covered bridges built for general traffic in Virginia.   Designed and built by Walter Weaver of Woolwine, the bridge served as an access point to the Smith River Church of the Brethren.  The bridge is now closed to vehicles but is the centerpiece of Patrick County's Covered Bridge Festival held annually in June. 

To get to the Bob White Covered Bridge follow VA 8 south of Woolwine, turn left to go east on Route 618 for one mile and then turn right onto Route 869.  Route 869 dead ends at the bridge.  Brown destination signs also mark the route to the bridge.

Jack's Creek Covered Bridge:
 
Just a few miles south on VA 8 from the Bob White Bridge is another covered bridge over the Smith River.  Jack's Creek Bridge - named for a nearby Baptist Church - is slightly older and shorter than Bob White.  The 48-foot span was also designed by Walter Weaver and built in 1914.  The bridge was built by Charles Vaughn. 
 
The Jack's Creek Bridge is also located south of Woolwine and can be seen from Route 8.  From VA 8 South, a quick right turn onto Route 615 takes you to the bridge.

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car