Skip to main content

Dunes Drive of White Sands National Park


Dunes Drive is an eight-mile connecting road from US Route 70 to the Alkali Flat Trailhead in White Sands National Park. Dunes Drive was constructed following the designation of White Sands National Monument between 1936-1940. The last approximate four miles of Dune Drive are unsurfaced and require traveling over graded gypsum sand. White Sands National Park was designated into law during December 2019.




Part 1; the history of Dunes Drive

White Sands National Park is located in the Tularosa Basin of Dona Ana County and Otero County.  The namesake "White Sands" is the largest gypsum dunefield at in the world at approximately 275 square miles.  White Sands lies at low point in the endorheic Tularosa Basin near Lake Lucero.  The White Sands dunes are thought to have formed 7,000-10,000 years ago due to erosion of water-soluble gypsum from the San Andres Mountains and Sacramento Mountains.  The gypsum dunes of White Sands are typically 30 feet deep but can be as deep as 60 feet.  

White Sands National Monument was designated on January 18, 1933, by President Hebert Hoover.  Construction of the White Sands National Monument visitor facilities, general infrastructure and Dunes Drive would take place during 1936-1940.  The completed Dunes Drive can be seen branching from US Route 70 west of Alamogordo on the 1940 State Farm Insurance Map of New Mexico


On June 23, 1988, the White Sands National Monument Historic District was established.  The district comprised of the visitor center and other infrastructure developed during the 1936-1940 era. 



On December 20, 2019, the designation White Sands National Park was signed into law.  The designation of White Sands National Park saw the transfer of land management in the cooperative use boundary from the Army to the National Park Service.  An addition 2,029 acres of protected lands were also added to the newly designated National Park.    



Part 2; a drive on Dunes Drive

US Route 70 passes through the eastern tip of White Sands National Park where Dunes Drive and the visitor center facilities can be accessed.  The marque along US Route 70 still displays "White Sands National Monument" whereas the new vinyl signs now say, "White Sands National Park."




Signage at the visitor still denotes "White Sands National Monument." 


Dunes Drive branches from the visitor center as a paved road and passes through the park entry station.  






Dunes Drive beyond the entrance station first passes the Playa Trail.







The next trail encountered on Dunes Drive is Dunes Life Nature Trail.


Dunes Drive enters the namesake White Sands dunes and next passes the Interdune Boardwalk. 










The Interdune Boardwalk is a short trail which features an easy walk above the gypsum sands between numerous vegetated dunes.  










Dunes Drive beyond the Interdune Boardwalk becomes an unsurfaced roadway.  Traffic is required to travel atop compacted gypsum.  




Dunes Drive next intersects the Backcountry Camping Trail. 








The final leg of Dunes Drive consists of a loop which begins/ends at the Backcountry Camping Trail.  The loop consists of access to numerous picnic areas, dunes used for sledding and the Alkali Flat Trail.










The Alkali Flat Trail is the signature trail of White Sands National Park.  The trail consists of a 5-mile loop of the large dunes of Alkali Flat.  The Alkali Flat Trail is marked by way of orange reassurance markers.  


























Dunes Drive from the Alkali Flat Trail loops back to the Backcountry Camping Trail.  Signage directing traffic back to US Route 70 and the park exit can be found near the Backcountry Camping Trail. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th