Skip to main content

Former California State Route 226


California State Route 226 is a former State Highway which was aligned between Orosi and Orange Cove.  California State Route 226 was commissioned during 1964 from what had been the northern extent of Legislative Route Number 132.  1965 Legislative Chapter 1372 deleted California State Route 226 and transferred the entire routing to a realigned California State Route 63.  



Part 1; the history of California State Route 226

What was to become California State Route 226 was added to the State Highway System in 1933 as part of Legislative Route Number 132 (LRN 132) north of Orosi to Orange Cove.  LRN 132 north of Orosi can be seen following Road 128 and Avenue 460 to Orange Cove on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Tulare County.  LRN 132 north of Orosi did not receive one of the initial Sign State Routes which were announced during August 1934.  LRN 132 north of Orosi connected with Sand Creek Road which was once the primary highway to the logging town of Millwood.  


As part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering what was Legislative Route Number 132 between Orosi and Orange Cove was renumbered as California State Route 226.  California State Route 226 can be seen for the first time on the 1964 Division of Highways Map.  


The California State Route 226 was a short-lived designation as it was consolidated with California State Route 63 via 1965 Legislative Chapter 1372.  Legislative Chapter 1372 also annexed County Route J19 north of Park Boulevard/Sumner Avenue as part of California State Route 63.  

The extended definition of California State Route 63 first appears on the 1966 Division of Highways Map.  California State Route 63 is shown as a planned State Highway north of Orange Cove which indicated that existing County Route J19 north of Orange Cove was not yet up to state standards. 



Hill Valley Road north of Orange Cove is shown as part of California State Route 63 on the 1969 Division of Highways Map.  The extension of California State Route 63 truncated County Route J19 to Orange Cove.  




Part 2; a drive on former California State Route 226

As modern California State Route 63 northbound enters downtown Orosi it intersects El Monte Way.  Originally California State Route 63 would have made a right-hand turn onto El Monte Way and traffic continuing straight would have transitioned onto California State Route 226. 


Former California State Route 226 northbound would have followed Road 128 to the intersection of Avenue 460 and Sand Creek Road.  







Former California State Route 226 followed Avenue 460 west into Fresno County and terminated at the eastern outskirts of Orange Cove at Hill Valley Road.  From the terminus of California State Route 226 traffic could continue west onto Park Boulevard in Orange Cove.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

The Putah Creek Bridge of Monticello (former California State Route 28)

The Putah Creek Bridge was a masonry structure constructed during 1896 by Napa County to serve the community of Monticello.  The Putah Creek Bridge would be annexed into the State Highway System in 1933 when Legislative Route Number 6 was extended from Woodland Junction to Napa.  The Putah Creek Bridge was a component of the original California State Route 28 from 1934-1952.  The span briefly became part of California State Route 128 in 1953 until the highway was relocated as part of the Monticello Dam project in 1955.  Today the Putah Creek Bridge sits at the bottom of the Lake Berryessa reservoir and is accessible to divers.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Putah Creek Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.   California State Route 28 can be seen crossing the Putah Creek Bridge near Monticello on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Copay.   The history of the Putah Creek Bridge The site of Monticello lies under the waters