Skip to main content

Former California State Route 274


California State Route 274 was a six-mile State Highway which was located in the city of San Diego along Balboa Avenue.  California State Route 274 was first defined during 1965 and the initial segment from Interstate 5 to Interstate 805 would be complete by 1971.  California State Route 274 would be extended to California State Route 163 by the mid-1970s and eventually to Interstate by the late 1980s.  California State Route 274 was deleted by the legislature during 1999 but signage remained in place during much of the first decade of the 2000s.  California State Route 274 can be seen along Balboa Avenue on the blog cover as it was displayed on the 1990 Caltrans Map.  


The history of California State Route 274

The 1935 Division of Highways Maps of San Diego County and the city of San Diego display Balboa Avenue as a major locally maintained road from Grand Avenue in the San Diego neighborhood of Pacific Beach east to Morena Boulevard.  Balboa Avenue as originally configured intersected US Route 101 (then Legislative Route Number 2) at what is now Mission Bay Drive (then Grand Avenue).


Balboa Avenue can be seen extended east of US Route 101 into neighborhood of Clairemont on the 1958 Division of Highways Map.  US Route 101 would become part of Interstate 5 in the coming years after the passage of the 1956 Federal Highway Aid Act.  

California State Route 274 was designated by way of 1965 Legislative Chapter 2068.  California State Route 274 was originally defined as "Route 5 near Balboa Avenue to Route 103."  California State Route 274 can be seen for the first time on the 1966 Division of Highways Map as a proposed highway without an adopted alignment.  The proposed alignment of California State Route 274 east of Interstate 5 is shown to overlap the existing corridor of Balboa Avenue.  


California State Route 274 was never mentioned in the California Highways & Public Works publication before it ended in 1967.  That being the case it isn't fully clear when the California Highway Commission made a formal alignment adoption for the highway.  California State Route 274 appears with an adopted alignment on the 1969 Division of Highways Map.  


1969 Legislative Chapter 294 would change the eastern terminus of California State Route 274 to "Route 15."  This change reflected the extension of Interstate 15 over what was California State Route 103. 

According to Cameron Kaiser's Roadgap highway page California State Route 274 was completed to state highway standards during 1971 between Interstate 5 and Interstate 805.  California State Route 274 appears as a complete highway between Interstate 5-California State Route 163 and with an adopting routing east to Interstate 15 on the 1975 Caltrans Map.  


California State Route 274 east of California State Route 163 to Interstate 15 would not be completed until the late 1980s.  California State Route 274 appears completed to Interstate 15 for the first time on the 1990 Caltrans Map.  The completed iteration of the highway was six miles in length.  


A portion of the California State Route 274/Interstate 15 junction was swallowed by a sink hole during February 1998 and was reconstructed.  California State Route 274 was deleted by way of Assembly Bill 1650, Chapter 724 on October 10, 1999.  Despite being deleted by the legislature the city of San Diego did not accept relinquishment of California State Route 274 until 2001.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th