Skip to main content

Former California State Route 215

 

California State Route 215 was a short-lived state highway which existed in the Los Angeles Metropolitain area after the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  California State Route 215 was aligned from US Route 60 at 5th Street in Pomona north to US Route 66 near Claremont via Garey Avenue.  California State Route 215 came to be after California State Route 71 was bisected in Pomona due to relinquishment of a portion of Garey Avenue due to the opening of a portion of the Corona Freeway (now Chino Valley Freeway) during 1958.  California State Route 215 was deleted by the Legislature during 1965.


The history of California State Route 215

The initial segment of what was to become California State Route 215 was added to the State Highway System as part of the 1909 First State Highway Bond Act.  The First State Highway Bond Act defined what would become Legislative Route Number 19 (LRN 19) as running from Claremont to Riverside.  The segment of LRN 19 between Claremont and Pomona would in time become part of California State Route 71.  LRN 19 can be seen on the 1918 California Highway Commission Map.  The routing of LRN 19 between Claremont and Pomona followed Garey Avenue.  



California State Route 71 was announced as one of the original Sign State Routes in the August 1934 California Highways & Public Works.  California State Route 71 originated at US Route 66 near Claremont and followed LRN 19 south towards Pomona.  From Pomona, California State Route 71 followed the entirety of LRN 77 to US Route 80 near San Diego.  



In 1935 the Division of Highways released County maps which depict routing of California State Route 71.  Within Los Angeles County, California State Route 71 is shown following Garey Avenue along LRN 19 south from US Route 66/LRN 9 in Claremont to US Route 99/US Route 60/US Route 70/LRN 26 at Holt Avenue in Pomona.  California State Route 71 briefly multiplexed US Route 60/LRN 19 on Garey Avenue south to 5th Street where the latter split east towards Riverside.  California State Route 71 transitioned onto LRN 77 following Garey Avenue and Philadelphia Street to the San Bernardino County line.  


The 1936-1937 Division of Highways Map displays California State Route 71/LRN 77 south of Pomona bypassing Chino via an extension of Garey Avenue.  The new bypass of Chino tied into Merrill Avenue south of the city of limit of Chino directly towards LRN 177.  

The January/February 1958 California Highways & Public Works announced a contract to construct the Temescal Freeway between 5th Street to 0.9 miles south of Riverside Drive in Pomona.  The initial segment of the Temescal Freeway is noted to have an anticipated completion during April as an expressway.  While not overly stated the Temescal Freeway was intended to be the new alignment of California State Route 71.  





The Temescal Freeway name was short lived as the corridor was announced as having been named the "Corona Freeway" in the November/December 1958 California Highways & Public Works.  The Corona Freeway name was selected by the California Highway Commission on July 23, 1958.  The Corona Freeway corridor is noted to have been selected by the California Highway Commission during 1947 between the Los Angeles County line and the US Route 395 Escondido Freeway.  




The 1959 Division of Highways Map displays California State Route 71 in Pomona as a bisected highway.  The northern segment of California State Route 71 is shown to follow LRN 19 between Claremont to the US Route 60 along Garey Avenue.  The segment of Garey Avenue south to the Corona Freeway is shown to have been relinquished back to Pomona.  The southern Segment of California State Route 71 is shown originating at US Route 60 and following the Corona Freeway south towards Chino.  The entire Corona Freeway corridor had been added the Freeway & Expressway System during 1959.  


The 1964 State Highway Renumbering heavily altered the corridor of California State Route 71.  The Legislative Route Numbers were dropped as part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering in favor of Sign Route designations.  California State Route 71 was defined with several segments:

(A) Route 10 to near Pomona to Route 91 via Pomona.
(B) Route 91 to Route 395.
(C) Route 395 near Temecula to Route 74 east of Anza.  

The 1964 Division of Highways Map displays the changes to California State Route 71.  What had been California State Route 71 along Garey Avenue between US Route 66 in Claremont to US Route 60 in Pomona was designated as California State Route 215.  The establishment of California State Route 215 removed the gap in California State Route 71.  California State Route 71 was extended north of US Route 60/5th Street to the Interstate 10 and the San Bernardino Freeway.  



1965 Legislative Chapter 1372 deleted California State Route 215 along Garey Avenue between Claremont and Pomona.  It is unclear if California State Route 215 ever had any signage or was signed as California State Route 71 prior to being deleted.  Former California State Route 71/California State Route 215 along Garey Avenue between Claremont and Pomona no longer appears on the 1966 Division of Highways Map.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th