Skip to main content

Star Gazers' Stone - Chester County, Pennsylvania

  


One of the most important surveying markers in the United States, and perhaps, the world, is located in an otherwise unassuming field at Embreeville in Newlin Township in Chester County, Pennsylvania. That marker is the Star Gazers' Stone, which is the land marker that was used in 1764 by 18th century astronomers Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon to determine the true boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland.

At the time, the colonies of Maryland and Pennsylvania had a disputed border thanks to competing royal charters of the time. Maryland and Pennsylvania both claimed the land between the 39th and 40th parallels according to the charters granted to each colony, and this would have included the City of Philadelphia. The issue was unresolved until the British Crown intervened in 1760, ordering Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore to accept a border agreement signed in 1732. As part of the settlement, the Penns and Calverts commissioned the team of English astronomers Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon to survey the proper boundaries between Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware and parts of Virginia.

The Mason-Dixon Line (the northern boundary of Maryland) was to be 15 miles south of the southernmost house in Philadelphia. On January 7, 1764, after finding the latitude of the house, they picked out a location 31 miles west of Philadelphia at John Harlan's farm in modern day Embreeville, Pennsylvania at the same latitude of the forks of the Brandywine Creek. Moving their delicate but heavy equipment took two days. They moved westward because surveying 15 miles directly south from Philadelphia would have involved a difficult crossing of the Delaware and would have landed them in New Jersey from which they would have to cross the Delaware again on the way west. It made more sense for Mason and Dixon to set up their base of operations for astronomical observations to the west of Philadelphia. A reference point in the garden of the Harlan property, now known as Star Gazers' Stone, was placed to mark the astronomical meridian line north of their observatory.

Using a device with a 6 foot long brass telescope that allowed them to establish their position relative to the stars, Mason and Dixon spent the winter nights charting the sky from the Star Gazers' Stone. In spring 1764, they ventured due south from the farm with a team that cleared a wide swath through the dense forests. Using chains and levels, they surveyed in straight, 12 mile segments, then made detailed astronomical calculations to adjust to the exact latitude. As miles were measured differently in the 18th century, the majority of the original stones were not actually placed a mile apart by today's standards. While many of the 230 original crown stones have been lost over time, the Stargazers’ Stone, the starting point of the boundary survey, is located in exactly the right place.

Today, you can visit the Star Gazers' Stone by taking a short hike in the ChesLen Preserve off of PA 162 in Embreeville, near the intersection with the aptly named Stargazers Road. There is a parking lot and a trail that leads to the Star Gazers' Stone, along an easement surrounded by a privately owned property. I enjoyed this short journey to this widely overlooked, but very important piece of our history.

Along the trail to the Star Gazers' Stone

Star Gazers' Stone historical plaque.

Star Gazers' Stone keystone marker located on Stargazers Road.

The Star Gazers; Stone is protected by a stone encasement.


How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Landmarks - The Star-Gazers' Stone
Historical Marker Database - The Star Gazers' Stone
Natural Lands - Star Gazers’ Stone More Accessible to Visitors
Town of Rising Sun, Maryland - History of the Mason-Dixon Line
Scott's ODDySEEy (YouTube) - Stargazers Stone | A Line Drawn in the Sand...stone
Vista.Today - Most Important Stone Along Mason-Dixon Line Has Survived Centuries in Newlin Township

Crossposted to Quintessential Pennsylvania - https://quintessentialpa.blogspot.com/2022/10/star-gazers-stone.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Central Freeway of San Francisco (US Route 101)

The Central Freeway is a 1.2-mile elevated limited access corridor in the city of San Francisco.  As presently configured the Central Freeway connects from the end of the Bayshore Freeway to Market Street.  The Central Freeway carries the mainline of northbound US Route 101 from the Bayshore Freeway to Mission Street. The Central Freeway has origins with the establishment of Legislative Route Number 223 and is heavily tied to the history of the once proposed Panhandle Freeway.  The Central Freeway between the Bayshore Freeway and Mission Street was completed during 1955.  The corridor was extended to a one-way couplet located at Turk Street and Golden Gate Avenue in 1959 which served to connect US Route 101 to Van Ness Avenue.  The Central Freeway was damaged by the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake and has since been truncated to Market Street.   The Central Freeway as pictured on the blog cover was featured in the May/June 1959 California Highways & Public Works.  The scan below is fro

The Bayshore Freeway (US Route 101)

The Bayshore Freeway is a 56.4-mile component of US Route 101 located in the San Francisco Bay Area.  The Bayshore Freeway connects the southern extent of San Jose to the Central Freeway in the city of San Francisco.  The corridor was originally developed as the Bayshore Highway between 1923 and 1937.  The Bayshore Highway would serve briefly as mainline US Route 101 before being reassigned as US Route 101 Bypass in 1938.  Conceptually the designs for the Bayshore Freeway originated in 1940 but construction would be delayed until 1947.  The Bayshore Freeway was completed by 1962 and became mainline US Route 101 during June 1963.   Part 1; the history of the Bayshore Freeway Prior the creation of the Bayshore Highway corridor the most commonly used highway between San Jose and San Francisco was El Camino Real (alternatively known as Peninsula Highway).  The  American El Camino Real  began as an early example of a signed as an Auto Trail starting in 1906.  The era of State Highway Mainte

Former US Route 101 and California State Route 41 through Paso Robles

Paso Robles is a city located on the Salinas River of San Luis Obispo County, California.  As originally configured the surface alignments of US Route 101 and California State Route 41 converged in downtown Paso Robles.  US Route 101 originally was aligned through Paso Robles via Spring Street.  California State Route 41 entered the City of Paso Robles via Union Road and 13th Street where it intersected US Route 101 at Spring Street.  US Route 101 and California State Route 41 departed Paso Robles southbound via a multiplex which split near Templeton.   Pictured above is the cover of the September/October 1957 California Highways & Public Works which features construction of the Paso Robles Bypass.  Pictured below is the 1935 Division of Highways Map of San Luis Obispo County which depicts US Route 101 and California State Route 41 intersecting in downtown Paso Robles.   Part 1; the history of US Route 101 and California State Route 41 in Paso Robles Paso Robles ("Pass of the