Skip to main content

Florida State Road 693 and Corey Causeway


Florida State Road 693 is an 11.63-mile State Road located entirely within Pinellas County.  Florida State Road 693 begins at US Route 19 in Largo and terminates at Florida State Road 699 in St. Pete Beach.  Florida State Road 693 includes the modern Corey Causeway which crosses Boca Ciega Bay.  The original Corey Causeway opened during the 1930s as part of pre-1945 Florida State Road 263.  The modern Corey Causeway southbound span was constructed in 1966 with the northbound span coming later during 1975.  



Part 1; the history of Florida State Road 693 and Corey Causeway

Corey Causeway presently carries Florida State Road 693 over Boca Ciega Bay between the cities of South Pasadena and St. Pete Beach.  The original Corey Causeway was constructed during the early 1930s as a low-level drawbridge.  Corey Causeway was originally part of pre-1945 Florida State Road 263.  The original Corey Causeway can be seen depicted in an undated postcard.


Florida State Road 263 originated at Florida State Road 230 in St. Petersburg at 4th Street South and 22nd Avenue South.  Florida State Road 263 westbound followed 22nd Avenue West, Gulfport Road and Pass-A-Grill Avenue (now Pasadena Avenue) to Corey Causeway.  Florida State Road 263 terminated upon entering St. Pete Beach via Corey Avenue.  Corey Causeway can be seen as a component of Florida State Road 263 on the 1943 United States Geological Survey Maps of St. Petersburg of Pass-A-Grill.



During 1945 the Florida State Roads were renumbered from how they were legislatively adopted to a grid pattern.  This action by the Florida State Road Department led to Florida State Road 263 being renumbered to Florida State Road 690.  Corey Causeway can be seen as part of Florida State Road 690 on the 1948 Rand McNally Map of Florida.  Florida State Road can be seen as assigned to the corridor between US Route 19 north to Florida State Road 60 along 66th Street North, 46th Avenue North and Park Street.  The original corridor of Florida State Road 693 was part of pre-1945 Florida State Road 73. 



At some point during the late 1950s/early 1960s 66th Street was extended to the vicinity of 2nd Avenue South.  The extension of 66th Street continued as part of Florida State Road 693 via Pasadena Avenue onto Corey Causeway (leading to the deletion of Florida State Road 690).  Florida State Road 693 south of US Route 19A began to be co-signed as Florida State Road A19A during late 1962.  Florida State Road A19A formed for a loop of mainline US Route 19 following Florida State Road 693, Florida State Road 699 and the Pinellas Bayway.  

The modern southbound span of Corey Causeway was completed by 1966.  Corey Causeway and Florida State Road 693 can be seen as part of Florida State Road A19A on the 1972 United States Geological Survey Map of Tampa.  


The modern northbound span of Corey Causeway was completed by 1975.  Florida State Road A19A was dropped during the 1980s leaving only Florida State Road 693 as the only highway designated over Corey Causeway.  Corey Causeway can be seen as part of Florida State Road 693 on the 1988 United States Geological Survey Map of St. Petersburg.  




Part 2; a drive on Florida State Road 693 over Corey Causeway

Florida State Road 693 southbound in the city of St. Petersburg transitions from 66th Street onto Pasadena Avenue.  


Florida State Road 693 southbound intersects Pinellas County Route 150 at Central Avenue.



Florida State Road 693 passes Park Circle and enters the city of South Pasadena.  






Florida State Road 693 southbound follows Corey Causeway over Sailboat Key, Deadman Key and Boca Ciega Bay into the city of St. Pete Beach.  Florida State Road 693 transitions onto 75th Avenue and terminates at Florida State Road 699.  





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third