Skip to main content

Fresno/Tulare County Route J40


Fresno/Tulare County Route J40 is 17.19 miles and was defined in 1974. County Route J40 begins at California State Route 99 near Selma. From California State Route 99 the routing of County Route J40 follows Mountain View Avenue, El Monte Way and Avenue 416 to California State Route 63 in Orosi.




Part 1; the history of County Route J40

Mountain View Avenue east of US Route 99 to Zediker Avenue is displayed as a minor roadway on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County.


El Monte Way east of Road 40 to Orosi is shown as a major county highway on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Tulare County.  El Monte Way west of Road 40 is shown without a bridge over the Kings River to Mountain View Avenue in Fresno County.


The March/April 1947 California Highways & Public Works announced a contract advertisement to construct new bridge over the Kings River between Kingsburg and Dinuba.  The new bridge over the Kings River was one of fifty-five projects selected for State and Federal Aid due to the economic benefit they would provide following World War II.   


The original bridge over the Kings River was completed during 1948 and connected El Monte Way to Mountain View Avenue.  The Kings River Bridge permitted Dinuba traffic with direct access to US Route 99 which at the time was located on Golden State Boulevard.  The original Kings River Bridge can be seen in a photo on the cover on the Final Environmental Impact Report for the Mountain View Avenue/Avenue 416/El Monte Way Wideningfrom Bethel Avenue in Fresno County to Road 92 in Tulare County, California (courtesy Kelly Hobbs). 


A contract to resurface El Monte Way east of Dinuba to Orosi was awarded during August 1950 via Federal Aid Secondary Program 1142 (seen in the November/December 1950 California Highways & Public Works).


Fresno/Tulare County Route J40 (J40) was defined in 1974 with a 17.19-mile length. J40 began at California State Route 99 between Selma and Kingsburg. From California State Route 99 the routing of J40 followed Mountain View Avenue and El Monte Way to California State Route 63 in Orosi. J40 can be seen illustrated below in a map by cahighways.org.


During the 1990s Tulare County began to deemphasize and remove County Sign Route shields.  The Tulare County Road System outside of incorporated cities was replaced with numbered avenues and roads which formed a county grid.  El Monte Way outside of Dinuba became Avenue 416.  The only known County Sign Route shields left in Tulare County as of the publishing of this blog are from County Route J37 along Balch Park Road (Mountain Road 239). 

During October 2008 the Final Environmental Impact Report for the Mountain View Avenue/Avenue 416/El Monte Way Wideningfrom Bethel Avenue in Fresno County to Road 92 in Tulare County, California was published.  As the report name implies the corridor of J40 from Bethel Avenue east over the Kings River to Road 92 was to be widened.  The project corridor included a new four lane Kings River Bridge which would replace the original 1948 span.  The new Kings River Bridge was completed during 2014.  The widening of Mountain View Avenue west of the Kings River Bridge to Golden State Boulevard (former US Route 99) was completed between 2016-2018.  At some point between 2018-2022 the Fresno County Department of Transportation placed a new J40 shield on eastbound Mountain View Avenue.  




Part 2; a drive on County Route J40

J40 eastbound begins in Fresno County from California State Route 99 Exit 115 to Mountain View Avenue.  Dinuba is signed as 12 miles away on eastbound J40 whereas Orosi is signed as 18 miles away.  




Eastbound J40 along Mountain View Avenue intersects former US Route 99 at Golden State Boulevard. 



As eastbound J40 passes Bethel Avenue a County Route J40 shield can be observed. 




Eastbound J40 enters Tulare County and transitions onto Avenue 416.  Eastbound J40 crosses the 2014 Kings River Bridge.






Eastbound J40 enters the city of Dinuba and transitions onto El Monte Way.  J40 intersects County Route J19 at Alta Avenue north of downtown Dinuba.  






Dinuba was plotted as "Sibleyville" during 1890 along the Stockton & Tulare Railroad operating line of the Southern Pacific Railroad.  Sibleyville was named in honor of James Sibley who donated 240 acres of land to the Southern Pacific Railroad.  Sibleyville in time came to be known as "Dinuba."  The source of the Dinuba name is unknown, but the community incorporated as a city on January 6, 1906.  During 1916 the Southern Pacific Railroad constructed a new depot at the southwest corner of Tulare Street and M Street.  The 1916 Southern Pacific Railroad Depot has since been moved to K Street where it became the headquarters of the Alta District Museum.




The original location of the 1916 Southern Pacific Railroad Depot can be seen just beyond the tracks in this eastbound photo of Tulare Street. 


J40 eastbound departing Dinuba transitions back onto Avenue 416 and passes through the community of Sultana.  Sultana was a siding along the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway line in eastern San Joaquin Valley.  






J40 eastbound follows Avenue 416 to a terminus at California State Route 63 in Orosi.  Orosi was founded in 1888 by Daniel Shafter and received Post Office Service in 1892.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third