Skip to main content

Pasco County Route 1

Pasco County Route 1 is an approximately 16.1-mile highway signed along Little Road.  The Pasco County Route 1 designation does not fall within the larger Florida State Road/County Route grid.  Pasco County Route 1 begins at Trinity Boulevard in southern Pasco County and follows Little Road northward functioning as a bypass of numerous communities.  Pasco County Route 1 originally terminated at US Route 19 in Hudson via Fivay Road.  The northern terminus of Pasco County Route 1 was shifted to US Route 19 near Aripeka following the opening of the final segment of Little Road in 2000.  

Part 1; the history of Pasco County Route 1

An early portion of what would become Little Road appears as pre-1945 Florida State Road 209 and Gunn Highway on the 1944 United States Geological Survey Map of Elfers.  The Seven Springs portion of former Little Road was located between what is now Old County Route 54 and Florida State Road 54.  

As part of the 1945 State Road Renumbering the legislatively designated highways were renumbered to a grid pattern.  Florida State Road 209 through Seven Springs were incorporated what would become Florida State Road 54.  Florida State Road 54 can be seen passing through Seven Springs along modern Little Road on the 1958 United States Geological Survey Map of Plant City.  An additional portion of modern Little Road is shown as Florida State Route 587 between Massachusetts Avenue north to Ridge Road.  

The 1954 United States Geological Survey Map of Port Richey displays Little Road as existing between Florida State Road 52 north to Fivay Road.  This portion of Little Road is likely the oldest given it was an access road to the Fivay company town site.  Fivay was founded in 1904 and operated in northern Pasco County through the late 1910s. 

The 1978 United States Geological Survey Map of Tarpon Springs displays Little Road extended north of Seven Springs to Massachusetts Avenue.  

The 1998 United States Geological Survey Map of Port Richey displays Little Road as complete between Ridge Road north to Florida State Road 52. 

The 1998 United State Geological Survey Map of Elfers displays Florida State Road 54 realigned off Little Road onto a bypass of Seven Springs.  Little Road is shown complete south to Trinity Boulevard near the Pinellas County line.  

It isn't clear when Pasco County Route 1 was designated but it appears on Florida Department of Transportation route logs during the 1990s.  Pasco County Route 1 included Fivay Road until 2000 when the northernmost portion of Little Road was completed to US Route 19 near the vicinity of Aripeka.  Little Road north of Fivay Road appears on the 2012 United States Geological Survey Maps of Port Richey and Aripeka.

Part 2; a drive on Pasco County Route 1

Pasco County Route 524/Pasco County Route 587 Truck westbound along Ridge Road intersects Pasco County Route 1/Little near the outskirts of Port Richey.  Pasco County Route 587 Truck westbound has an unclear multiplex on northbound Pasco County Route 1/Little Road.  Northbound Pasco County Route 1 traffic from Ridge Road is advised it can be used to reach US Route 19.  

Northbound Pasco County Route 1/Little Road skirts the eastern boundary of Bayonet Point and intersects Florida State Road 52. 

Pasco County Route 1/Little Road intersects Fivay Road north of Florida State Road 52.  

Northbound Pasco County Route 1/Little Road follows the eastern boundary of Hudson and terminates at US Route 19 near Aripeka.  


Popular posts from this blog

Dillon Road

Dillon Road is a 34.2-mile highway located in northern Coachella Valley of Riverside County, California.  Dillon Road begins at Avenue 48 on the outskirts of Indio and ends to the west at California State Route 62 near San Gorgonio Pass.  Dillon Road was developed the 1930s as a construction road for the Colorado River Aqueduct.  Dillon Road serves as a northern bypass to much of the development of Coachella Valley.  Dillon Road is known for it's frequent dips and spectacular views of San Gorgonio Pass.   Part 1; the history of Dillon Road Dillon Road was constructed as a haul road for the Colorado River Aqueduct through Coachella Valley.  The Colorado River Aqueduct spans 242 miles from Parker Dam on the Colorado River west to Lake Mathews near Corona.  Construction of the Colorado River Aqueduct began during January 1933 near Thousand Palms and was made functional on January 7, 1939.  West of Berdoo Canyon Road the alignment of Dillon Road is largely concurrent with the Colorado

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road is an approximately 21-mile highway located in southeast Kern County.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road begins at Tehachapi Boulevard (former US Route 466) in Tehachapi and crosses the Tehachapi Mountains via the 4,820-foot-high Oak Creek Pass.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road enters Antelope Valley of the wider Mojave Desert and passes by the historic stage station of Willow Springs to a southern terminus at Rosamond Boulevard.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road has historic ties to the Havilah-Los Angeles Road and Stockton-Los Angeles Road due to the once reliable presence of water at Willow Springs. Part 1; the history of Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road Oak Creek Pass and Willow Springs were known to the local tribes of the Tehachapi Mountains for generations.  The first documented European crossing of Oak Creek Pass was during 1776 as part of an expedition by Francisco Garces.  Oak Creek Pass is as used again by John C. Fremont during an 1844-1845 expedition to e

The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge

The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a derelict structure located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Placer County, California.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge can be found between the communities of Colfax and Iowa Hill.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a wire suspension structure which spans the North Fork American River.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge was replaced by a modern span and converted to pedestrian use following floods during 1963.   Part 1; the history of the 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge During 1853 gold was discovered at what to become Iowa Hill.  The gold mining claims soon led to a small community known as Iowa City being established.   By 1854, Post Office Service began at the mines of Iowa City.  By 1856 gold production at Iowa City was estimated to be around $100,000.  Iowa City was burned in fires during 1857 and 1862 but the community was rebuilt with more modernized structures.   The location of Iowa City can be seen as "Iowa Hill" on the 1873 Bancroft