Skip to main content

Ayers Road Extension (Hernando County Route 576)


During April 2022 the Ayers Road Extension opened in southern Hernando County as a new segment of Hernando County Route 576.  The Ayers Road Extension is part of a 10.8-mile corridor which is intended to create a four-lane highway between US Route 19 in Spring Hill and US Route 41 in Masaryktown.  The Ayers Road Extension functionally acts as a bypass of Masaryktown.  




Part 1; the history of the Ayers Road Extension

The Ayers Road Extension (Hernando County Route 576) was discussed in detail in the July 18, 2021, Hernando Sun.  The Ayers Road Extension is noted to be the first of three planned projects which would form a 10.8 mile long four-lane highway in Hernando County spanning from US Route 19 in Spring Hill east to US Route 41 near Masaryktown.  The second and third units are noted to comprise existing segments of County Line Road (Hernando County Route 578).  The article notes all three projects were to be constructed by the Florida Department of Transportation and turned over to Hernando County for maintenance.  

On March 2, 2021, the Florida Department of Transportation announced Trillium Boulevard would close from County Line Road on March 9, 2021.  Traffic would be required to detour on the recently completed segment of Ayers Road Extension from Trillium Boulevard east to US Route 41/Broad Street.  




The southern segment of the Ayers Road Extension was reported as being accepted by the Florida Department of Transportation on April 12, 2022.  The southern end of the Ayers Road Extension tied into a realigned County Line Road and Trillium Boulevard.  




Part 2; a drive on the Ayers Road Extension

From US Route 41/Broad Street north of Masaryktown traffic can access the Ayers Road Extension by turning west on County Route 576.  


The westbound Ayers Road Extension bypasses Masaryktown and intersects the northern end of Trillium Boulevard.  







The Ayers Road Extension terminates at the intersection of County Line Road (Hernando County Route 578) and the southern end of Trillium Boulevard.  Traffic continuing west to US Route 19 transitions onto County Line Road/Hernando County Route 578. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

The Putah Creek Bridge of Monticello (former California State Route 28)

The Putah Creek Bridge was a masonry structure constructed during 1896 by Napa County to serve the community of Monticello.  The Putah Creek Bridge would be annexed into the State Highway System in 1933 when Legislative Route Number 6 was extended from Woodland Junction to Napa.  The Putah Creek Bridge was a component of the original California State Route 28 from 1934-1952.  The span briefly became part of California State Route 128 in 1953 until the highway was relocated as part of the Monticello Dam project in 1955.  Today the Putah Creek Bridge sits at the bottom of the Lake Berryessa reservoir and is accessible to divers.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Putah Creek Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.   California State Route 28 can be seen crossing the Putah Creek Bridge near Monticello on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Copay.   The history of the Putah Creek Bridge The site of Monticello lies under the waters