Skip to main content

Signed County Route E15 to Copperopolis

Back in 2016 I frequently used Signed County Route E15 as a short cut from California State Route 108/120 in Tuolumne County to CA 4 in Calaveras County.


E15 is a 12.91 mile long Signed County Route which was defined in 1974 according to CAhighways.org.

CAhighways.org on Signed County Route E15

On the Tuolumne County side E15 begins from CA 108/120 at O'Byrne's Ferry Road.  Traffic is warned along CA 108/120 not to pick up hitch hikers due to the a corrections center which is oddly placed next to the Sierra Conservation Center on the Tuolumne County side of E15.


E15 is one of the better Signed County Routes in terms of signage.  While some of the shields are old they are generally well placed in a logical enough way to convey to the traveler they are on E15 which can be a rarity at times among the Signed County Routes.


E15 on O'Brynes Ferry Road descends to the Tulloch Reservoir which serves as the Calaveras County Line.  The Tulloch Reservoir impounded a small section of the Stanislaus River which once crossed by O'Bryne's Ferry in 1958 when Tulloch Dam was completed.  The O'Byrne's Ferry first opened as a cable ferry crossing of the Stanislaus River in 1852.  The first O'Byrne's Ferry Bridge opened in 1852 and was replaced numerous times in the ensuing decades due to flooding on the Stanislaus River.  The article below contains a picture of the 1862 Union Covered Bridge which used to occupy the site.

calaverashistory.org on O'Bryne's Ferry and the Central Ferry

E15 in Calaveras County ascends a small bluff from the Tulloch Reservoir on O'Brynes Ferry Road.  Interestingly the Postmile paddles in Calveras County resemble those from Caltrans which makes E15 on O'Byrnes Ferry Road appear as it on "CA 48" at casual glance.


Near the north terminus E15 enters Copperopolis on Main Street.  Copperopolis was founded in 1860 and was the second major copper strike in Calaveras County after Telegraph City to the west.  During the Civil War the copper mines in Copperopolis closed but they reopened in the 1880s ensuring the community survived.  Copperopolis largely has been replaced by a modern and in my opinion garish looking facade of a Gold Rush era town to the west along CA 4 but there are a couple authentic buildings located on E15.  The Copperopolis Armory dates back to 1864 and saw use in during the Civil War.  Reed's Store dates back to 1861 and was once the headquarters of the Union Mining Company in 1906.





E15 ends at CA 4 in Main Street in Copperopolis.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horace Wilkinson Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

Standing tall across from downtown Baton Rouge, the Horace Wilkinson Bridge carries Interstate 10 across the lower Mississippi River between West Baton Rouge and East Baton Rouge Parishes. Unusually, the bridge is actually named for three separate people; three generations of Horace Wilkinsons who served in the Louisiana State Legislature over a combined period of 54 years. Constructed in the 1960s and opened to traffic in 1968, this is one of the largest steel bridges on the lower Mississippi. It’s also the tallest bridge across the Mississippi, with its roadway reaching 175 ft at the center span. Baton Rouge is the northernmost city on the river where deep-water, ocean-going vessels can operate. As a result, this bridge is the northernmost bridge on the river of truly gigantic proportions. Altogether, the bridge is nearly 2 ½ miles long and its massive truss superstructure is 4,550 ft long with a center main truss span of 1,235 ft. The Horace Wilkinson Bridge is one of the largest

Veterans Memorial Bridge (Gramercy, LA)

When we think of the greatest engineering achievements and the greatest bridges of North America, we tend to focus on those located in places familiar to us or those structures that serve the greatest roles in connecting the many peoples and cultures of our continent. Greatness can also be found in the places we least expect to find it and that 'greatness' can unfortunately be overlooked, due in large part to projects that are mostly inconsequential, if not wasteful, to the development and fortunes of the surrounding area. In the aftermath of the George Prince ferry disaster that claimed the lives of 78 people in October 1976 in nearby Luling, LA, the state of Louisiana began the process of gradually phasing out most of its prominent cross-river ferry services, a process that remains a work in progress today. While the Luling-Destrehan Ferry service was eliminated in 1983 upon completion of the nearby Hale Boggs Memorial Bridge, the ferry service at Gramercy, LA in rural St.

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which