Skip to main content

There's work being done on the Mon-Fayette Expressway in West Virginia

The long-awaited final piece of the puzzle for the Mason-Dixon stretch of the Mon-Fayette Expressway is falling into place with awarding and start of construction of the final contract of the West Virginia portion of the Mon-Fayette Expressway.

When finished, the entire West Virginia portion of the Interstate 68-to-Pittsburgh highway will be complete and opened to traffic.

The contract which will include the freeway's tie in to Interstate 68 along with a total rebuild of Exit 10 on I-68 - was won by Kokosing Construction of Fredericktown, OH. The contract is funded by the 2009 American recovery and Reinvestment Act. The contract's value? Just over $11.6 million.

The contract was awarded on June 24th - construction began on July 6th. A temporary four month closure of Bowers Lane marked the start of new construction.

Kokosing is also building another piece of WV 43 just north of Interstate 68 - a nearly $23 million contract (won in December 2008) for roadwork that is just north of Interstate 68.

The plan is to have both projects completed and the freeway opened to traffic by the end of 2010. When completed, Pennsylvania will open to traffic two miles of highway from the Gans Road Interchange meeting WV 43 at the State Line.

Story:
Mon-Fayette Expressway moves closer to Cheat ---The Dominion Post

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's about time.
Anonymous said…
This is great. Commerce between Morgantown and Uniontown will improve drastically.
Anonymous said…
yes it is about time. hopefully they will build the rest of this road from 51 and also finish the southern beltway. Glad to hear west virginia is moving forward!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th