Skip to main content

Hares Hill Road Bridge - Chester County, Pennsylvania

 


The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has plenty of interesting and historic bridges. While the state hosts a large number of covered bridges, there are a good number of historic iron truss bridges that can be found as well. By happenstance, I found the Hares Hill Road Bridge in Chester County while driving around the county this past summer. Also known as the Silver Bridge, this bridge was built in 1869 and spans over the scenic French Creek in East Pikeland Township between Kimberton and Phoenixville at a length of 105 feet. But the bridge's age isn't what makes it unique.

The Hares Hill Bridge was built by the Moseley Iron Bridge and Roof Company of Boston, Massachusetts and is a wrought iron bowstring bridge. The bridge was designed by Thomas Moseley, who held patents on wrought iron bridges going back to 1857. The bridge is one of the earliest examples of a bowstring truss bridge, a type of bridge that rapidly came and went into fashion, briefly becoming popular during the years following the Civil War. Bowstring truss bridges are rare enough today, and it is possible that the Hares Hill Bridge may be the last of its kind. The bridge is also among the oldest metal bridges of any design remaining in North America. As a result, the historic significance of the Hares Hill Bridge may not have a similar comparison to other small highway bridges within the United States of America.

The bridge should have a good future ahead of it. There was a project that took place in 2018 to allow the rehabilitation of the Hares Hill Road Bridge by reconstructing the damaged and deteriorated wingwalls, reconstructing the stone masonry parapets with reinforced concrete, and installing brown guiderail to protect the blunt ends of the parapets. A concrete strip on the bridge deck has also been installed to allow for easier crossing by cyclists.

There is a pull-off at the south end of the bridge if you want to check out the bridge, or perhaps to fish or enjoy the nearby French Creek Trail. This made it easy to explore the Hares Hill Road Bridge in all of its glory.

The Hares Hill Road Bridge crosses French Creek, part of the Pennsylvania Scenic Rivers System.

Side profile of the Hares Hill Road Bridge and related stone masonry work.

Examining the wrought iron work along the bridge.

Wading in the French Creek Bridge to get all of the good bridge pictures.

Bridge plaque commemorating the commissioners and contractor at the time of the original construction of the Hares Hill Road Bridge in 1869.

Bridge plaque honoring the bridge masonry rehabilitation in 2018.

A parting shot as I get ready to bid the Hares Hill Road Bridge adieu.


How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Bridgehunter.com - Hares Hill Road Bridge
HistoricBridges.org - Hares Hill Road Bridge
The Mercury - Hares Hill Road bridge re-opens in East Pikeland (August 20, 2018)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th