Skip to main content

Edmonds-Kingston Ferry (Washington State Route 104)

The Edmonds-Kingston Ferry is a component of Washington State Route 104. The Edmonds-Kingston Ferry carries westbound Washington State Route 104 from Sunset Avenue in Edmonds (Snohomish County) over Puget Sound to Northeast 1st Street in Kingston (Kitsap County). The Edmonds-Kingston Ferry takes approximately thirty minutes to cross Puget Sound and carries approximately 2.1 million vehicles annually.

Part 1; the history of the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry

The Edmonds-Kingston Ferry began on May 16, 1923, as a private venture owned by the Joyce Brothers of Mukilteo. During it's initial run the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry broke down and the first completed ferry trip took place on May 20, 1923 (according to Historic Edmonds). The original ferry vessel on the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry route was 56 feet in length and could only carry 12 vehicles. The initial fare for a one-way trip on the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry was $1.25 and $4 for a round trip.

The Edmonds-Kingston Ferry can be seen on the 1925 Rand McNally Map of Washington State. The western approach to the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry through Kingston is shown to be part of Primary State Highway 21. The eastern approach to the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry is not shown as part of the State Highway System.

During 1931 ferry service from Edmonds to Port Townsend began which was followed by service to Victoria, British Columbia by 1935. The Edmonds-Port Townsend Ferry was short lived and was discontinued during 1939.

During 1937 the Secondary State Highway System was created. Secondary State Highway 1W linked US Route 99 the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry in Edmonds. Primary State Highway 21 and Secondary State Highway 1W can both be seen reaching the terminals of the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry on the 1940 State Farm Insurance Map of Washington State.

From the landing of the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry the alignment of Secondary State Highway 1W followed Main Street, South 5th Avenue and Edmonds Way through Edmonds to US Route 99. The alignment of Secondary State Highway 1W can be seen on the 1942 United States Geological Survey Map of Edmonds.

On June 1, 1951, the Washington State Ferries System began. The Edmonds-Kingston Ferry was purchased by the State of Washington as of one initial routes in the system. The Edmonds-Kingston Ferry can be seen connecting Primary State Highway 21 and Secondary State Highway 1W on the 1956 Shell Highway Map of Washington.

As part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry was added to Washington State Route 104. The initial approaching alignments to the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry remained the same as what had been inherited from Primary State Route 21 and Secondary State Route 1W.

During 1974 a new approach alignment to the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry for Washington State Route 104 and holding area was constructed in Edmonds. The new alignment of Washington State Route 104 shifted the highway to what is now an extension of Edmonds Way and Sunset Avenue. Washington State Route 524 was subsequently extended over Main Street from 3rd Avenue North to Sunset Avenue.

During the 2000s the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry terminal in Kingston was twinned. Westbound Washington State Route 104 traffic now departs the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry via Northeast 1st Street.

Part 2; a ride on the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry

From Interstate 5 traffic can be access the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry by utilizing Exit 177 and transitioning to westbound Washington State Route 104.

Westbound Washington State Route 104 follows Northeast 205th Street into the city of Edmonds and transitions onto Edmonds Way. Washington State Route 104 intersects Washington State Route 99 (former US Route 99) along Edmonds Way.

Washington State Route 104 westbound follows Edmonds Way to a ferry transition ramp approaching South 5th Avenue. Washington State Route 104 westbound no longer can access it's original alignment of South 5th Avenue.

Washington State Route 104 westbound follows Edmonds Way and Sunset Avenue to the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry holding area. Presently the fare for passenger vehicles on the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry is $17.20.

The Edmonds-Kingston Ferry terminal is located next to Brackett's Landing. Brackett's Landing commemorates the site of where logger George Brackett landed during a storm in 1870. George Brackett purchased 147 acres of land during 1872 and settled at his landing site during 1876. A small community known as Brackett's Landing soon developed and eventually expanded into the plotted town site of Edmonds during 1884. The name "Edmonds" was intended to honor George Franklin Edmonds a Senator from Vermont who George Brackett admired. Edmonds would go on to incorporate as a city on August 14, 1890.

From Brackett's Landing the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry terminal, Whidbey Island and Kitsap Peninsula can be observed.  Numerous historical plaques can also be found at Brackett's Landing.

The view on eastbound Washington State Route 104 from the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry faces towards unsigned Washington State Route 524 on Main Street.

The first eastbound Washington State Route 524 reassurance shield can be found on Main Street at 3rd Avenue North.

Westbound Washington State Route 524 terminates via Main Street at Washington State Route 104/Sunset Avenue.  Westbound Washington State Route 524 does not directly access the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry as traffic is required to detour along 3rd Avenue South and Dayton Street.  

Below the transition from the ferry holding area through the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry terminal to the MV Spokane can be seen.  Washington State Route 104 is considered as existing on Edmonds-Kingston Ferry terminals in addition to the ships running the route.  The MV Spokane was constructed during 1972 and began sailing during February 1973.  The MV Spokane has a carrying capacity of 206 passenger vehicles.  

The view facing east from the MV Spokane looking back at the ferry terminal in Edmonds.  

The eastbound Washington State Route 104 ferry departing Kingston passing the MV Spokane on Puget Sound. 

Westbound Washington State Route 104 traffic disembarks in Kingston on the Kitsap Peninsula and transitions to Northeast 1st Street.  Kingston was founded during 1853 by Benjamin Bannister as a logging town originally known as "Appletree Cove."  During 1878 Michael King purchased a cabin at Appletree Cove and would begin to construct numerous buildings.  The community was considered to be something of a logging shanty and was jokingly referred to as "King's Town."  The nickname gradually evolved into the modern community's name "Kingston."

Westbound Washington State Route 104 merges back in with the eastbound travel lane at the end of Northeast 1st Street.  

Washington State Route 104 westbound departs Kingston and makes a right-hand turn towards Port Gamble at the Washington State Route 307 junction.  


Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third