Skip to main content

Hardscrabble Covered Bridge - St. Martin's, New Brunswick


One of two covered bridges to cross Vaughan Creek (also known as the Irish River) in St. Martins, New Brunswick, the Hardscrabble Covered Bridge holds a few distinctions. It is one of a handful of covered bridges within the Province of New Brunswick that has an attached covered walkway. It is also one of two covered bridges in the province where you can see another covered bridge from the bridge. The other covered bridge happens to be the Vaughan Creek Covered Bridge (which was being reconstructed when I visited in early May 2022). This gives the Hardscrabble Covered Bridge and St. Martins another interesting landmark among the interesting things you can see in the area, such as the Fundy Trail Parkway, Bay of Fundy, the Sea Caves and Quaco Head Lighthouse.

Alternatively known as Irish River #2 Covered Bridge, the Hardscrabble Covered Bridge was built in 1946 with a Howe Truss covered bridge design. Spanning 78 feet (or 24 meters) across Vaughan Creek on Main Street, the sidewalk portion of the bridge was added in 1986, allowing for people to safely view the nearby surroundings and the nearby Vaughan Creek Covered Bridge. The Hardscrabble Covered Bridge is one of three covered bridges in the St. Martins area, along with the aforementioned Vaughan Creek Covered Bridge as well as the Tynemouth Creek Covered Bridge. Since the bridge is fairly close to the Bay of Fundy, the high tides do have some effect on the bridge, but likely not much of an effect in normal conditions. Still, the Hardscrabble Covered Bridge is not to be missed if your travels take you to St. Martins, plus there is ample parking near the western portal of the bridge.

Vaughan Creek and construction to the new Vaughan Creek Covered Bridge just to the south of the Hardscrabble Covered Bridge.

The bridge sits at the village limits of St. Martins.

Inside the covered bridge.

The north side of the bridge has some ivy hanging on the siding.

Bridge plaque.

Western portal of the covered bridge, complete with a separated sidewalk.

Side angle of the south side of the Hardscrabble Covered Bridge.

How to Get There:

Sources and Links:
Tourism New Brunswick - Hardscrabble No. 2 Covered Bridge (Irish River No. 2)
New Brunswick Canada - Transportation and Infrastructure
New Brunswick's Covered Bridges - Irish River No. 2 (Hardscrabble) - New Brunswick Covered Bridges List
Charles E. Frees-Melvin - Irish River # 2 Covered Bridge
Association Heritage New Brunswick - St. Martins Covered Bridges


Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third