Part 1; the history of US Route 99 in Everett and Marysville
Marysville was founded north of the Snohomish River during 1872 by government-appointed Indian Affairs agent James P. Comeford. Early Marysville was sustained by lumber interests north of the Snohomish River and the town was formally plotted during 1885. Marysville would incorporate as a city on March 20, 1891. A major driving force for the incorporation of Marysville was the completion of the Great Northern Railway through the community. The community's name "Marysville" is disputed and has several cited origins.
Everett is the largest city in Snohomish County and the County Seat. Everett lies on Port Gardner Peninsula. What was to become Everett was surveyed during July 1890 by lumberman Henry Hewitt Jr. and railroad executive Charles L Colby as a port for the Great Northern Railway. During August 1890 the Rucker Brothers of Tacoma purchased 50-acres of land to plot the Everett town site. The community of Everett was named after the son of Charles L. Colby. Everett would incorporate as a city on May 4, 1893. Following a Supreme Court decision following a controversial election Everett was awarded the Snohomish County Seat during October 1895.
During the 1913 the Pacific Highway was established as an organized Auto Trail Association borne out of the Good Roads movement. The Pacific Highway was applied over the through highway between Everett and Marysville. The Pacific Highway (4) and Evergreen National Highway (20) can be seen passing through Everett and Marysville on the 1924 Rand McNally Map of Washington. The alignment of the Pacific Highway northbound from Everett followed Evergreen Way, Rucker Avenue, Everett Avenue, Broadway, Hewitt Avenue over the Snohomish River, 20th Street Southeast, Sunnyside Boulevard, 61st Street Northeast and 3rd Street in Marysville. From 3rd Street in Marysville the Pacific Highway continued north towards Smokey Point via State Avenue.
US Route 99 initially inherited the alignment of the Pacific Highway and be seen departing Everett via Hewitt Avenue northbound towards Marysville on the 1927 Rand McNally Map of Washington State.