The Terminal Island Freeway is a 3.1-mile freeway extending from Seaside Boulevard on Terminal Island north to Willow Street in the city of Long Beach. The Terminal Island Freeway was constructed by the California Division of Highways at the behest of United States Navy for access to the numerous Naval facilities once present on Terminal Island. The Terminal Island Freeway is carried by California State Route 47 north from Seaside Avenue to Henry Ford Avenue, California State Route 103 north to California State Route 1 at Pacific Coast Highway and under local maintenance north to Willow Street in Long Beach. Despite being maintained locally north of California State Route 1 the Terminal Island Freeway is signed as California State Route 103 north to Willow Street. Featured as the blog cover is the Terminal Island Freeway approaching the Cerritos Channel Lift Bridge as seen in the September/October 1948 California Highways & Public Works.
Part 1; the history of the Terminal Island Freeway
What is now Terminal Island was originally known as Raza de Buena Gente and later Rattlesnake Island. The modern name of Terminal Island was assumed during 1891. Existing Terminal Island was absorbed into the Los Angeles during 1909 when the city annexed Wilmington. In the ensuing decades Terminal Island was greatly expanded via dredged landfill which gradually extended it into the city of Long Beach. During 1927 civilian use Allen Field was constructed on Terminal Island via dredge from the Port of Los Angeles. A Naval Air Reserve Training Facility was built alongside Allen Field and utilized its runways. Allen Field closed to civilian use during 1935 and the facility was renamed Reeves Air Field San Pedro. The site of Allen Field can be seen on Terminal Island on the 1938 Thomas Brothers Map of Los Angeles.