Skip to main content

Brown Material Road



Crappy times got you down?  Feel like the news is full of nothing but brown material?  Tired of having a giant turd bomb of bad news dropping onto your social media feed?  If so, why take a detour onto San Joaquin Valley's infamous Brown Material Road.

Brown Material Road is a small 5 mile rural road that connects California State Route 46 southwest to California State Route 33.  If you're worried about a constant stream of fecal oriented puns through this blog fear not, they stop here.  In fact I would imagine that D.B. Kitchen, W. Dick, and Sam Woodcock of Clallam County, Washington would be proud that crude jokes go no further. 


So how did Brown Material Road get it's unfortunate name?  The answer is surprisingly mundane and was elaborated up by Bakersfield.com (the city that brought us the intersection of Inyo/Butte ironically) back in 2015.  The name "Brown Material" was taken from oilfield supply business known as Brown Material Supply Company which used to be located at the intersection of Brown Material Road and US Route 466 (currently CA 46).  Brown Material Road has been around for a long time as it can be seen on the 1935 California Division of Highways Map of Kern County.


Brown Material Road is surprisingly well signed as it's full name can be observed from CA 46 eastbound.


Brown Material Road even has a guide sign on CA 33 northbound.


Interestingly Brown Material Road does have street blades but they tend to be abbreviated to "Brown Mat."  Brown Mat sounds something like something you'd see in an early 1980s residential bathroom.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th