Skip to main content

Ashuelot Covered Bridge - New Hampshire


New Hampshire has dozens of covered bridges that grace their presence throughout the Granite State. One such covered bridge is the Ashuelot Covered Bridge, which spans over the Ashuelot River in the Cheshire County community of Ashuelot. Built by master covered bridge builder Nicholas Powers in 1864 at a length of 169 feet, the bridge is designed in the Town lattice style of covered bridges developed by Ithiel Town in 1820 and was rehabilitated in 1999. The bridge was built of the Ashuelot Covered Bridge is considered by local historians to be one of New Hampshire's most elaborate covered bridges. The original purpose of the bridge was to transport wood across the river for use by the Ashuelot Railroad, as the railroad had a station in the upper village of Ashuelot. Eventually, the bridge was converted for use by motor vehicles. At times. this covered bridge has also been called the Village Bridge or Village Station Bridge.


The beauty of the Ashuelot Covered Bridge, as of other covered bridges, is that it is still carrying out its original purpose, to get people and goods from Point A to Point B. There are covered walkways on each end of the bridge, so pedestrians and the occasional vehicle (the bridge sees an average of 510 vehicles a day) don't have to intermingle. At times, special events take place on the bridge, such as an annual dinner event that takes place. But in the end, the covered bridge is about bridging together the community, both now and then.






How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Ashuelot Bridge - New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Ashuelot Covered Bridge - Bridgehunter.com
New England: True Northeast; Covered Bridge; Ashuelot, N.H. - New York Times  (June 3, 2001)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Route 75 Tunnel - Ironton, Ohio

In the Ohio River community of Ironton, Ohio, there is a former road tunnel that has a haunted legend to it. This tunnel was formerly numbered OH 75 (hence the name Route 75 Tunnel), which was renumbered as OH 93 due to I-75 being built in the state. Built in 1866, it is 165 feet long and once served as the northern entrance into Ironton, originally for horses and buggies and later for cars. As the tunnel predated the motor vehicle era, it was too narrow for cars to be traveling in both directions. But once US 52 was built in the area, OH 93 was realigned to go around the tunnel instead of through the tunnel, so the tunnel was closed to traffic in 1960. The legend of the haunted tunnel states that since there were so many accidents that took place inside the tunnel's narrow walls, the tunnel was cursed. The haunted legend states that there was an accident between a tanker truck and a school bus coming home after a high school football game on a cold, foggy Halloween night in 1

Former California State Route 190 at the bottom of Lake Success

East of the City of Porterville the alignment of California State Route 190 follows the Tule River watershed into the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  In modern times California State Route 190 east of Porterville climbs south of the Lake Success Reservoir towards Springville.  Much of the original alignment of California State Route 190 within the Lake Success Reservoir can still be hiked, especially in drier years.  Pictured above is the original alignment of California State Route 190 facing northward along the western shore of Lake Success.  Part 1; the history of California State Route 190 through Lake Success The corridor of California State Route 190 ("CA 190") east of Porterville to Springville follows the watershed of the Tule River.  The Tule River watershed between Porterville and Springville would emerge as a source of magnesite ore near the turn of the 20th Century.  The magnesite ore boom would lead to the development of a modern highway in the Porterville-Springville

US Route 299 and modern California State Route 299

US Route 299 connected US Route 101 near Arcata of Humboldt County east across the northern mountain ranges of California to US Route 395 in Alturas of Modoc County.  US Route 299 was the longest child route of US Route 99 and is the only major east/west highway across the northern counties of California.  US Route 299 was conceptualized as the earliest iteration of what is known as the Winnemucca-to-the-Sea Highway.  The legacy of US Route 299 lives on today in the form of the 307 mile long California State Route 299.   Featured as the cover of this blog is the interchange of US Route 101 and US Route 299 north of Arcata which was completed as a segment of the Burns Freeway during 1956.   Part 1; the history of US Route 299 and California State Route 299 The development of the State Highways which comprised US Route 299 ("US 299") and later California State Route 299 ("CA 299") began with 1903 Legislative Chapter 366 which defined the general corridor of the Trinit