Skip to main content

Former Hawaii Route 271


Former Hawaii Route 271 was located on the northern coast of the Big Island near Hawi.  The corridor originated at Hawaii Route 27 and followed Upolu Point Road approximately 1.9 miles north to Upolu Airport.  The corridor was recommended for deletion several times during the 1960s and appears to have been removed the Hawaii Route System circa 1967.  

Hawaii Route 271 can be seen below on the 1959 Gousha Highway map of Hawaii


This page is part of the Gribblenation Hawaii Roads series.  A compellation of all Hawaii-related media from both Gribblenation and RoadwayWiz can be found by clicking here




The history of former Hawaii Route 271

Upolu Point is located near the community of Hawi at the northernmost tip of the Hawaiian Big Island.  Near the namesake point Upolu Airport can be found.  Said airport was constructed in 1927 for the United States Air Service and was initially administered by the War Department.  The airport was named "Suiter Field" in 1933 which was intended to honor Army Lieutenant Wilbur C. Suiter.  Prior to World War II the facility was used for dual civilian and military purposes.  

During World War II Upolu Airport was manned by the Navy who used it as a weather and communications station.  The Naval Post served as an auxiliary unit of Naval Air Station Hilo.  Following the war in 1947 jurisdiction of Upolu Airport was transferred to Hawaii Aeronautics Commission.  In 1948 a 4,000-foot paved runway was constructed at Upolu Airport and commercial flights began to be scheduled regularly in 1950.  

By 1955 the Hawaii Route System was expanded to the Big Island.  Given the regional importance of Upolu Airport, the roadway to Upolu Point (Upolu Point Road) was commissioned as Hawaii Route 271.  Hawaii Route 271 can be seen below on the 1959 Gousha Highway map of Hawaii


Hawaii Route 271 was ultimately short lived.  According to Oscar Voss's hawaiihighways.com the highway was targeted for deletion from the Big Island Federal Aid System in 1964 and 1967.  The designation of Hawaii Route 271 seems to have been deleted following 1967.  

Given the relative isolation was of the Hawi area and northern Kohala coast was broken by the development of Hawaii Route 270 in the early 1970s the importance of Upolu Airport has declined.  As of 2008 the facility only had 790 aircraft operations which comprised of 89% general aviation, 1% air taxi and 10% military. 

Below Hawaii Route 270 can be seen approaching the former beginning of Hawaii Route 271 at Upolu Point Road.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 180 in Centerville

Centerville is one of the oldest communities in what is now Fresno County having been founded as Scottsburg in 1854.  The Centerville community has historically been tied to the history of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the Squaw Valley Road.  The Squaw Valley Road would later be known as Dunlap Road and became a component of California State Route 180 in August 1934.  By the 1940s the corridor was renamed Kings Canyon Road in reference to Kings Canyon National Park.  For the majority of the life of California State Route 180 in Centerville, it has not strayed far from Kings Canyon Road.  This changed in 2020 when California State Route 180 was relocated onto the Kings Canyon Expressway.  This blog serves as an overview of the history of California State Route 180 and general evolution of highways in Centerville.  California State Route 180 can be seen passing through Centerville and Minkler below on the 1935 Division of Highways map of Fresno Count...

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The last 1956-63 era California Sign State Route Spade?

Along southbound California State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway Extension) approaching the Hollywood Freeway/Ventura Freeway interchange a white California State Route 134 Sign State Route Spade can be observed on guide sign.  These white spades were specifically used during the 1956-63 era and have become increasingly rare.  This blog is intended to serve as a brief history of the Sign State Route Spade.  We also ask you as the reader, is this last 1956-63 era Sign State Route Spade or do you know of others?  Part 1; the history of the California Sign State Route Spade Prior to the Sign State Route System, the US Route System and the Auto Trails were the only highways in California signed with reassurance markers.  The creation of the US Route System by the American Association of State Highway Officials during November 1926 brought a system of standardized reassurance shields to major highways in California.  Early efforts to create a Sign State Route ...