|The Taftsville Covered Bridge not long after its reopening in 2013 (Doug Kerr)|
In September 2013, just over two years after the bridge was severely damaged as a result of Tropical Storm Irene, the Taftsville Covered Bridge reopened to traffic. The two-span 189 foot multiple kingspost truss bridge over the Ottauquechee Rive was built in 1836.
|Entrance to the Taftsville Covered Bridge on the north shore of the Ottoauquechee River. (Adam Prince - October 2005)|
The bridge consists of two spans - one 89' and the second 100' - making it one of the longest covered bridges in Vermont. It is also one of the state's oldest with only two bridges, Pulp Mill and Great Eddy, being older. The bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
|This view shows how efforts were made to raise and support the bridge over the last 175 years. (Adam Prince - October 2005)|
The bridge was built by Salmond Edmunds III, and it appears that the arches used to support both spans of the bridge were added sometime later. Throughout the years, a number of rehabilitation projects have strengthened and even raised the bridge higher above the Ottauqueechee River. The post-Irene repairs, which included a total rebuild of the south span, cost $2.5 million. (1) Since the 2013 reopening, the Taftsville Covered Bridge has survived a number of collisions
with large trucks.
How To Get There:
- Number: 45-14-12
- Design: Multiple Kingspost
- Length: 189 Feet
- Crosses: Ottoauquechee River
- Built: 1836