Skip to main content

National Park Wednesday; Maricopa Road through Sonoran Desert National Monument to Arizona State Route 238

Back between 2010 and 2012 I frequently traveled through Sonoran Desert National Monument on Maricopa from Gila Bend to Arizona State 238 in Mobile.






The route between AZ 347 in Maricopa in Pinal County east to AZ 85 in Maricopa County is 44.27 miles in length.  Despite the current Maricopa Road being quite good and a solid shortcut from Phoenix to Yuma only the first 20.27 miles west from AZ 347 is state maintained as AZ 238.  AZ 238 ends slightly west of the Pinal County Line and Mobile but continues as the paved county maintained road another 24 miles to AZ 85 in Gila Bend.  Much of Maricopa Road from the west terminus of AZ 238 to AZ 85 traverses the Sonoran Desert National Monument along a Southern Pacific Line between the North Maricopa Mountains and South Maricopa Mountains.  The photos below are from Maricopa County just east of Gila Bend in the Sonoran Desert National Monument between the twin Maricopa Ranges.




AZ 238 is a recent addition to the Arizona State Highway system having been created in 1986.  AZ 238 was meant to serve a hazardous waste station in the community of Mobile which was ultimately never built.  AZ 238 is mostly signed on Maricopa Road but a small portion is signed on Smith Enke Road within in the City of Maricopa.  While AZ 238 was paved relatively quickly it wasn't until some point between 1996 and 2001 that Maricopa Road was paved all the way west to Gila Bend. 

Sonoran Desert National Monument lies within a fairly undeveloped part of Sonoran Desert south of the Phoenix Area.  Sonoran Desert National Monument extends south of I-8 into the Table Top Wilderness and is managed by the Bureau of Land Management.  Sonoran Desert National Monument was declared in 2001 but it is largely thought that it was created to impede the southern sprawl of Metro Phoenix.

Sonoran Desert National Monument Map

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh