Skip to main content

Vermont's Bayley-Hazen Military Road

 


Within the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont are remnants of a Revolutionary War era military road which later served as a road that brought settlers into northern Vermont. This road is the Bayley-Hazen Military Road, one the oldest thoroughfares in the Northeast Kingdom, and traces of the road can be explored today. The trip travels diagonally towards the northwest and is about 48 miles long, depending on which route you take, and takes you through quiet and scenic parts of the Northeast Kingdom. The road, which became known as the Bayley-Hazen Road, was first proposed in 1776 by Colonel Jacob Bayley and construction began the same year. Road construction had later been halted as the military need became unwarranted, but later continued in 1779 and was later abandoned by General Moses Hazen. The old military road and what remains of it, extends from Wells River in a northwesterly direction through towns such as Peacham and Craftsbury, ending in Westfield at a location that is now known as Hazen’s Notch.

The history of the Bayley-Hazen Military Road begins with the military campaign of 1775 and 1776 during which Benedict Arnold and Richard Montgomery attempted to capture Canada. The Continental Army urgently needed reinforcements and supplies to continue the siege of Quebec. Colonel Jacob Bayley, head of the frontier militia and a resident of Newbury, Vermont, repeatedly wrote to General George Washington, urging upon him the importance of constructing a new road that would shorten existing supply routes. Washington, determined to act without the approval of Congress, approved construction of the road on April 29, 1776, aware of the critical situation at Quebec, while also being aware that a road to Canada could just as easily facilitate an attack by British troops from the north.

In the middle of 1776, the campaign in Canada foundered and Washington instructed Bayley to abandon the work on the road after 26 miles of construction, when it had reached a point about six miles north of Elkins Place in Peacham. Then, construction had laid dormant until April 1779, when General Moses Hazen of Haverhill, Massachusetts had received orders to complete the road in anticipation of another Canadian campaign. Hazen's men built a blockhouse on Cabot Plains and as the road progressed, they built another blockhouse six miles farther north to Walden. As the work party reached Caspian Lake in Greensboro, they built another blockhouse, providing a network of security as part of the military project. By late summer of 1779, Hazen had reached the notch that now bears his name in the Green Mountains near Westfield, Vermont. At that point, work was halted still some forty miles short of the road's intended destination of St. John's, Canada (now Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec), where it is said that Moses Hazen owned some land.

As a military achievement, the Bayley-Hazen Military Road was not very successful. Instead, it was seen to become more of an irritation to the early settlers in Peacham, Ryegate and Newbury. This was because the road could be traveled both directions as anticipated by George Washington, and as suspected, the British conducted raids down the road from time to time. In September 1781, two members by the names of Constant Bliss and Moses Sleeper of an American scouting party were killed near the blockhouse along Caspian Lake. A memorial monument of this tragic event was placed and it can be seen today as you traverse the Bayley-Hazen Road.

Much of the original route of the Bayley-Hazen can be followed using existing roads through Wells River, West Danville, Peacham, Greensboro, Craftsbury, Albany, Irasburg, and Westfield. You can travel the Bayley-Hazen Road by car, although if you're looking to locate small details and monuments of the road's history, exploring on bicycle or by foot are also options. It is not a heavily traveled road, so taking a hike along the old Bayley-Hazen Road is possible. For those who are interested in following the Bayley-Hazen Road, there are a number of signs along the road that mark the old military route, and even some roads that retain the name of Bayley-Hazen today. The name of Bayley-Hazen also lends itself to the name of a locally produced cheese called Bayley-Hazen blue cheese, which is made at the Jasper Hill Farm in Greensboro, Vermont. There is also a great guide to following the Bayley-Hazen Road as published by the Northeastern Vermont Development Association, which I've used to help guide some of my own travels along the Bayley-Hazen Road.

Historical marker about the Bayley-Hazen Military Road found at the Oxbow Cemetery north of Newbury, Vermont. A number of people involved in the road's construction are buried here.

Historical plaque at the southern end of the Bayley-Hazen Military Road in Wells River.

Monument honoring the memory of Constant Bliss and Moses Sleeper, who were killed guarding the old blockhouse along the Bayley-Hazen Road in Greensboro. I believe that is Caspian Lake located in the distance behind this monument.

Another monument to the Bayley-Hazen Road, or just Hazen Road as this monument says.

Peacham Congregational Church in Peacham, one of the towns you'll pass along the old Bayley-Hazen Military Road. Peacham was first settled in 1776, at the same time the Bayley-Hazen Road was being built.

Peacham Store in Peacham, located along the Bayley-Hazen Road.

All roads lead to Peacham.

I'm pretty sure the Bayley-Hazen Road saw some carriage traffic back in the day.

The Bayley-Hazen Road was built with plenty of straightaways, which also means plenty of hills.

The Elkins Way, an alignment of the old Bayley-Hazen Road in Peacham.

The Bayley-Hazen Road is surrounded by farm fields, hills and forests.

Ryegate Presbyterian Church along the Bayley-Hazen Road in Ryegate.

The Bayley-Hazen Road passes by Ticklenaked Pond in Ryegate.


The Bayley-Hazen Road is scenic in all seasons.

Some of the dirt road sections along the old Bayley-Hazen Road are more primitive than others...

While you'll find a handful of old embossed Bayley-Hazen Road signs along the old road, you'll also find these Bayley-Hazen Military Road at some crossroads along the old road.

Some of the northernmost miles of the Bayley-Hazen Military Road are on modern day VT 58. The old military road connects with the modern route in Lowell, around the junction of VT 58 and VT 100.

VT 58 is one of a couple of unpaved state routes in Vermont. The other is VT 121, located in the southeastern part of the Green Mountain State.

This route shield is almost as old as the Bayley-Hazen Military Road itself.

VY 58 ascends towards Hazens Notch, which is where the Bayley-Hazen Military Roads meets its end.


How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Alps' Roads - Bayley-Hazen Road
Cabot Historical Society - Bayley-Hazen Military Road
RootsWeb.com - The Hazen Military Road
Happy Vermont - Why Bayley-Hazen is One of Vermont’s Most Historic Dirt Roads
Northeastern Vermont Development Association - In Search of Bayley-Hazen (PDF)
Motorcycle-Vermont - Vermont Bucket List Checkmark: Ride the Bayley-Hazen Military Road
Green Mountain Gravel - The Bayley Hazen Military Road - Exploring Vermont's History by Gravel Bike (YouTube)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car