Skip to main content

Florida Friday; Cedar Key and the end of Florida State Road 24

Back in 2014 I took Florida State Route 24 to it's western terminus on the Gulf of Mexico at Cedar Key located in Levy County.






From Otter Creek at US 19/98 it is an approximately 21 mile drive west to the terminus of FL 24 at Cedar Key.





FL 24 has an unsigned terminus at D Street and 2nd Street.  The real only indication that FL 24 has ended is the quality of the asphalt drops considerably suddenly as maintenance drops from FDOT to the City of Cedar Key.  The terminus of FL 24 is easily located however since the Cedar Key Historical Museum is next to it.





There is also a local street sign displaying FL 24 at 2nd Street and D Street.  There is also an older FDOT Wayside sign still in use despite being heavily weathered.





The really interesting part of Cedar Key is along Dock Street.  Dock Street overlooks the original Cedar Key settlement on Atsena Otie Key and becomes very apparent that it was once end of the Florida Railroad.










The town site of Cedar Key dates back to 1839 when a Army Hospital was established on Astena Otie Key during the Second Seminole War.  Originally Astena Otie Key was known as Depot Key when it was inhabited by the Army.  Astena Otie Key was abandoned following a hurricane in 1842 but the community was resettled on Way Key and Scale Key in 1843.  Despite being known as "Cedar Key" as early as 1845 by the Post Office the City of Atsena Otie was chartered in 1859.

Cedar Key was the ultimate terminus of the Florida Railroad which was completed by 1861.  The Florida Railroad crossed the state westward from Fernandina Beach to Cedar Key and occupied much of what is now FL 24.  The Florida Railroad was used to serve Confederate Forces during the Civil War until it was captured by the Union in 1864.  In 1865 a large sawmill was constructed in Cedar Key which used the Florida Railroad to ship the lumber.  

After the heyday of the Florida Railroad Cedar Key was struck by Category 3 Hurricane in 1896.  The 1896 Hurricane destroyed much of what remained on Atsena Otie Key from the original settlement.  A small cemetery is all that really remains on Atsena Otie Key in modern times.

Cedar Key has a surprising amount of intact older structures, most are located along 2nd Street.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New River Gorge National River Area To Become A National Park

Great news for those that enjoy National Parks, West Virginia's New River Gorge Region, or West Virginia tourism.  Included within the Fiscal Year 2021 Omnibus Appropriations Bill signed by President Trump last night (December 27th) is the New River Gorge Park and Preserve Designation Act.   The act will designate the existing New River National River and over 72,000 acres of land within it as a National Park and Preserve. The New River Gorge Bridge will continue to be the centerpiece of the new New River Gorge National Park and Preserve. (Adam Prince, 2007) The river and surrounding land, which was added to the National Park System in 1978, will be our 63rd National Park.   The designation preserves over 7,000 acres as a National Park.  This area will not allow any hunting.  The remaining 65,000 acres of the existing park will be designated as a preserve allowing hunting and fishing. The main attractions to the New River Gorge - whitewater rafting, camping, hiking, mountain bikin

Douglas Memorial Bridge; the ruins of US Route 101 and the Redwood Highway over the Klamath River

Near the village of Klamath in southern Del Norte County, California sits the ruins of Douglas Memorial Bridge which once carried US Route 101 and the Redwood Highway over the Klamath River.  The Douglas Memorial Bridge was a arch concrete span which once crossed the Klamath River.  The Douglas Memorial Bridge was noted for it's unique grizzly bear statues which still adorn the remains of the structure.  Completed in 1926 the Douglas Memorial Bridge was the original alignment of US Route 101 ("US 101") and stood until it was destroyed by the Christmas Floods of 1964.  The Douglas Memorial Bridge is named in honor of G.H. Douglas who was a Assemblyman of the First District of California.  Below the Douglas Memorial Bridge can be seen during it's prime (courtesy bridgehunter ).  Part 1; the history of the Douglas Memorial Bridge The history of what would become US 101/Redwood Highway begins with the approval of the 1909 First State Highway Bond Act .  The First Stat

The Great PA 48 Clearance Sale

It's not often that any department of transportation sells land it purchased.  They are usually in the business of acquiring land for right-of-way.  But in 1982, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation did exactly that.  Offering to buyers land it purchased just 15 years earlier for the never-built Route 48 Expressway. Background: The sale was a result of the 1970s cash crunch the PennDOT experienced.  Many projects were cut back, shelved, or eliminated.  The 'New 48', or the North-South Parkway, which was touted for nearly 20 years as a connection from the industrial Mon Valley to the Turnpike and Monroeville was one of the casualties. In the mid-late 1960s, movement to construct the new highway began with targeting a two-mile stretch of highway from the Route 48 intersection at Lincoln Way in White Oak to US 30 in North Versailles.  The plan was then to continue the highway northwards to Monroeville.  Extension south across the Youghiogheny River and to PA 51 would