Skip to main content

California State Route 184; the Weedpatch Highway

The third highway drive out of four this past Sunday was California State Route 184 which is largely known as the Weedpatch Highway.






CA 184 is a 14 mile north/south highway located entirely in Kern County.  I took CA 184 from the southern terminus at CA 223 northward towards CA 178.  Between CA 223 and CA 58 the routing of CA 184 is known as the Weedpatch Highway.  The first locale on northbound CA 184 is the community of Weedpatch.  Weedpatch apparently dates back to the 1920s and once had housing camps for migrants fleeing the Oklahoma Dust Bowl. 










Directly north of Weedpatch is the community of Lamont.  Lamont was also founded in the 1920s and has a very similar connection to the Dust Bowl like Weedpatch. 





CA 184 north of Lamont to CA 58 is poorly signed and is generally a two-lane road with a central turn-in lane.  There were no guide signs that I noticed on the entirety of CA 184.






CA 184 crosses under CA 58 and begins to run north on Morning Drive.





CA 184 crosses the Edison Highway which was the original routing of US 466.





Lake Isabella is signed on an overhead guide as CA 184 crosses a set of rails.


CA 184 North takes a right turn on Kern Canyon Road.  Originally when CA 184 was first signed this would have been the north terminus at CA 178.  CA 178 ran on Kern Canyon Road towards the canyon of the same name to the east and on Niles Street west to downtown Bakersfield.





CA 184 ascends over a ridge overlooking Kern Canyon and enters the City Limits of Bakersfield.






CA 184 terminates at CA 178, there are no "end" placards or really much of anything to indicate maintenance on Kern Canyon Road.





CA 184 was originally the unsigned Legislative Route Number 143.  The change from LRN 143 to CA 184 during the 1964 State Highway Renumbering can be observed by comparing the 1963 and 1964 State Highway Maps.

1963 State Highway Map

1964 State Highway Map

LRN 143 was added to the state highway system in 1933.  More detail can be found at CAhighways.org.

CAhighways.org on LRN 143

Originally LRN 143 ran from CA 178 (LRN 57) south to LRN 140 which was at Buena Vista Boulevard.  The original alignment of LRN 143 can be observed on the 1935 California Division of Highways map of Kern County.

1935 Kern County Highway Map

By 1965 the route of CA 223 was shifted and CA 184 was extended south on Weedpatch Highway to Bear Mountain Boulevard.

1965 State Highway Map

Sometime between 1970 and 1975 the CA 178 freeway and expressway were extended north off of Niles Street.  CA 184 was extended onto Kern Canyon Road to the current terminus at CA 178.  The change can be seen by comparing the 1970 and 1975 State Highway Maps.

1970 State Highway Map

1975 State Highway Map

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The original alignment of California State Route 1 in San Francisco

In 2019 the Gribblenation Blog Series covered the history of the Hyde Street Pier and the original surface alignment of US Route 101 in San Francisco.  Given the Golden Gate Bridge opened to traffic in May of 1937 coupled with the fact that the Sign State Routes had been announced in August of 1934 there were still some open questions regarding the original highway alignments in San Francisco.  Namely the question of this blog is; where was California State Route 1 prior to the completion of the Golden Gate Bridge?  Thanks the to the discovery of a 1936 Shell Highway Map of San Francisco and the California Highways & Public Works the answer can be conveyed clearly.     Part 1; the history of early California State Route 1 in San Francisco The genesis point for California State Route 1 ("CA 1") in San Francisco dates to 1933.  1933 was significant due to the State Legislature allowing the Division of Highways to assume maintenance of highways in Cities for the first time. 

Former California State Route 24 through the Kennedy Tunnel and Old Tunnel Road

 Near the eastern City Limit of Oakland high in the Berkeley Hills one can be find the ruins of the Kennedy Tunnel at the intersection of Old Tunnel Road and Skyline Boulevard.  The Kennedy Tunnel opened in 1903 and was the first semi-modern automotive corridor which crossed the Alameda County-Contra Costa County Line.  The Kennedy Tunnel even saw service briefly as part of California State Route 24 before the first two bores of the Caldecott Tunnel opened in 1937.   Part 1; the history of the Kennedy Tunnel The genesis point for California State Route 24 ("CA 24") being extended into the San Francisco Bay Area begins a couple years before the Sign State Routes were announced when Legislative Route Number 75 ("LRN 75") was added by 1931 Legislative Chapter 82.  According to cahighways.org the original definition of LRN 75 was as simply "Walnut Creek to Oakland."  The instigator for the adoption of LRN 75 was construct a replacement route for the Ken

Santa Clara County Route G8 and the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine

Santa Clara County Route G8 is a 29.38 mile County Sign Route which is part of the San Francisco Bay Area transportation corridor.  Santa Clara County Route G8 begins at California State Route 152 near the outskirts of Gilroy and terminates at former US Route 101 at 1st Street/Monterey Road near downtown San Jose.  Santa Clara County Route G8 incorporates the notable Almaden Expressway and is historically tied to the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine.   (Santa Clara County Route G8 map image courtesy CAhighways.org) Part 1; the history of Santa Clara County Route G8, the Almaden Road corridor and New Almaden Mine The present corridor of Santa Clara County Route G8 ("G8") began to take shape with the emergence of the Almaden Expressway.  According to the October 1960 California Highways & Public Works Unit 1 of the Almaden Expressway opened in November of 1959 between Alma Avenue near downtown San Jose south to the Guadalupe River as part of a Federal Highway Aid Secondary pro