Skip to main content

Route 66 Wednesdays; Valentine and how many Truxtons?

Continuing eastward from Hackberry last week on the Arizona State Route 66 portion of US 66 the road goes through the communities of Valentine and Truxton.






Valentine much like Hackberry was a rail siding of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad.  Interestingly Valentine appears to have the name of Truxton originally before switching to Valentine some time around 1910.   Valentine can be seen on this 1882 map of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad under it's original name of Truxton.

1882 A&P Operating Map

The switch from Truxton to Valentine is cited on theroute-66.com.

theroute-66.com on Valentine

The community of Valentine was centered around the Truxton Canyon Training School which was constructed from 1898 to 1903.  The purpose of the Truxton Canyon Training School was forcibly assimilate children from the Hualapai Tribe from the nearby tribal lands northeast in Peach Springs.  Apparently the Truxton Canyon Training School was in operation until 1937 and is now owned by the Hualapai Tribe who are seeking to repurpose the building according to NPS.gov.

NPS.gov on Truxton Canyon Training School

Ironically another community east of Valentine would later assume the name Truxton in the early 1950s.  The second Truxton was essentially founded with the purpose of serving traffic on US 66 with food, lodging, and of course gas.  


Pretty much all the old services in the second Truxton are now boarded up and no longer in use.  Truxton can be seen making an appearance on US 66 on the 1961 Arizona State Highway Map.

1961 State Highway Map

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The original alignment of California State Route 1 in San Francisco

In 2019 the Gribblenation Blog Series covered the history of the Hyde Street Pier and the original surface alignment of US Route 101 in San Francisco.  Given the Golden Gate Bridge opened to traffic in May of 1937 coupled with the fact that the Sign State Routes had been announced in August of 1934 there were still some open questions regarding the original highway alignments in San Francisco.  Namely the question of this blog is; where was California State Route 1 prior to the completion of the Golden Gate Bridge?  Thanks the to the discovery of a 1936 Shell Highway Map of San Francisco and the California Highways & Public Works the answer can be conveyed clearly.     Part 1; the history of early California State Route 1 in San Francisco The genesis point for California State Route 1 ("CA 1") in San Francisco dates to 1933.  1933 was significant due to the State Legislature allowing the Division of Highways to assume maintenance of highways in Cities for the first time. 

Former California State Route 24 through the Kennedy Tunnel and Old Tunnel Road

 Near the eastern City Limit of Oakland high in the Berkeley Hills one can be find the ruins of the Kennedy Tunnel at the intersection of Old Tunnel Road and Skyline Boulevard.  The Kennedy Tunnel opened in 1903 and was the first semi-modern automotive corridor which crossed the Alameda County-Contra Costa County Line.  The Kennedy Tunnel even saw service briefly as part of California State Route 24 before the first two bores of the Caldecott Tunnel opened in 1937.   Part 1; the history of the Kennedy Tunnel The genesis point for California State Route 24 ("CA 24") being extended into the San Francisco Bay Area begins a couple years before the Sign State Routes were announced when Legislative Route Number 75 ("LRN 75") was added by 1931 Legislative Chapter 82.  According to cahighways.org the original definition of LRN 75 was as simply "Walnut Creek to Oakland."  The instigator for the adoption of LRN 75 was construct a replacement route for the Ken

Santa Clara County Route G8 and the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine

Santa Clara County Route G8 is a 29.38 mile County Sign Route which is part of the San Francisco Bay Area transportation corridor.  Santa Clara County Route G8 begins at California State Route 152 near the outskirts of Gilroy and terminates at former US Route 101 at 1st Street/Monterey Road near downtown San Jose.  Santa Clara County Route G8 incorporates the notable Almaden Expressway and is historically tied to the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine.   (Santa Clara County Route G8 map image courtesy CAhighways.org) Part 1; the history of Santa Clara County Route G8, the Almaden Road corridor and New Almaden Mine The present corridor of Santa Clara County Route G8 ("G8") began to take shape with the emergence of the Almaden Expressway.  According to the October 1960 California Highways & Public Works Unit 1 of the Almaden Expressway opened in November of 1959 between Alma Avenue near downtown San Jose south to the Guadalupe River as part of a Federal Highway Aid Secondary pro