Former US Route 101, US Route 91, California State Route 10 and California State Route 18 in Anaheim
The era of State Highway Maintenance through in the Anaheim corridor would begin with the 1909 First State Highway Bond Act which was approved by voters in 1910. One of the highways approved through the 1909 First State Highway Bond Act was a 481.8-mile highway originating at the City Limits of San Francisco which terminated in San Diego. This highway would ultimately come to be known in time as Legislative Route Number 2 ("LRN 2").
The January 1915 California Highway Bulletin references LRN 2 from the Los Angeles/Orange County line to Anaheim as being completed between to State standards.
Prior to 1933 the State of California could not actively maintain highways in incorporated cities. LRN 2 can be seen following Whittier Boulevard, Spadra Road (now Harbor Boulevard and La Palma Parkway) and Los Angeles Street (now Anaheim Boulevard) from the Los Angeles city limit to downtown Anaheim on the 1917 California State Automobile Association Map. LRN 2 can be seen passing through the communities of Montebello, Whittier, La Habra and Fullerton.
LRN 2 between Los Angeles and Anaheim is shown as part of the Old Spanish Trail on the 1924 Rand McNally Map of California.
During November 1926 the US Route System was created by the American Association of State Highway Officials (AASHO and later AASHTO). US Route 101 was applied to the existing corridor of LRN 2 between Los Angeles and Anaheim. US Route 101 can be seen following LRN 2 between the Los Angeles city limit to Anaheim on the 1927 Rand McNally Map of California.