Skip to main content

Clearwater Memorial Causeway (Florida State Road 60)

The Clearwater Memorial Causeway is a component of Florida State Road 60 located in the city of Clearwater.  The Clearwater Memorial Causeway connects Clearwater Beach to the rest of the city of Clearwater via the waters of Clearwater Bay.  The modernized Clearwater Memorial Causeway opened to traffic during August 2005 and features two concrete girder spans.  The Clearwater Causeway was originally opened during 1927 and was partially carried by a drawbridge.  

Part 1; the history of the Clearwater Memorial Causeway

The original Clearwater Causeway opened to traffic on November 11, 1927.  The original Clearwater Causeway was a two-lane drawbridge span.  The original Clearwater Causeway does not appear to be part of any pre-1945 Florida State Road (it may have been part of Florida State Road 314).  The Clearwater Memorial Causeway be seen on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Clearwater departing west from US Route 19 via Cleveland Street. 

The original Clearwater Causeway can be seen in an undated postcard photo. 

The Clearwater Causeway appears on the 1956 Shell Oil Company Map at the western terminus of post-1945 Florida State Road 60.  

The original Clearwater Causeway appears signed as Florida State Road 60 on a photo dated to 1960.  

The Clearwater Causeway drawbridge was rebuilt as an elevated four-lane span during 1963.  The original drawbridge was converted to a fishing pier.  Florida State Road 60 approached the second Clearwater Causeway drawbridge westbound via Gulf to Bay Boulevard and Cleveland Street.  The second Clearwater Causeway drawbridge can be seen in an undated photo by Pinellas Memory.  

Construction the modern double concrete girder Clearwater Causeway Bridges began during 2001 and was completed during August 2005.  The second Clearwater Causeway drawbridge was converted to a fishing pier at the end of Cleveland Street.  Florida State Road 60 west realigned onto one-way couplets along Court Street and Chestnut Street through downtown Clearwater.  The modern Clearwater Causeway Bridges can be seen on the 2012 United States Geological Survey map of Clearwater.  

Part 2; a drive on the Clearwater Memorial Causeway

 Pier 60 can be found at the mutual terminus of Pinellas County Route 183 and Florida State Road 60 on Clearwater Beach.  Pier 60 opened during June 1962 as an extension of Clearwater Municipal Pier.  Clearwater is one of the largest communities in the Tampa Bay area and incorporated as a city during 1891.  

Florida State Road 60 eastbound departs Clearwater Beach via Causeway Boulevard. 

Florida State Road 60 eastbound departs Clearwater Beach via a short bridge onto to the Clearwater Causeway.  

Florida State Road 60 eastbound follows the Clearwater Memorial Causeway and crosses the 2005 concrete girder span over Clearwater Bay to Chestnut Street in downtown Clearwater.  

Eastbound Florida State Road 60 follows a one-way alignment on Chestnut Street and intersects US Route 19A Myrtle Avenue.  Westbound Florida State Road 60 is carried through downtown Clearwater by Court Street.  


Popular posts from this blog

Dillon Road

Dillon Road is a 34.2-mile highway located in northern Coachella Valley of Riverside County, California.  Dillon Road begins at Avenue 48 on the outskirts of Indio and ends to the west at California State Route 62 near San Gorgonio Pass.  Dillon Road was developed the 1930s as a construction road for the Colorado River Aqueduct.  Dillon Road serves as a northern bypass to much of the development of Coachella Valley.  Dillon Road is known for it's frequent dips and spectacular views of San Gorgonio Pass.   Part 1; the history of Dillon Road Dillon Road was constructed as a haul road for the Colorado River Aqueduct through Coachella Valley.  The Colorado River Aqueduct spans 242 miles from Parker Dam on the Colorado River west to Lake Mathews near Corona.  Construction of the Colorado River Aqueduct began during January 1933 near Thousand Palms and was made functional on January 7, 1939.  West of Berdoo Canyon Road the alignment of Dillon Road is largely concurrent with the Colorado

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road is an approximately 21-mile highway located in southeast Kern County.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road begins at Tehachapi Boulevard (former US Route 466) in Tehachapi and crosses the Tehachapi Mountains via the 4,820-foot-high Oak Creek Pass.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road enters Antelope Valley of the wider Mojave Desert and passes by the historic stage station of Willow Springs to a southern terminus at Rosamond Boulevard.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road has historic ties to the Havilah-Los Angeles Road and Stockton-Los Angeles Road due to the once reliable presence of water at Willow Springs. Part 1; the history of Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road Oak Creek Pass and Willow Springs were known to the local tribes of the Tehachapi Mountains for generations.  The first documented European crossing of Oak Creek Pass was during 1776 as part of an expedition by Francisco Garces.  Oak Creek Pass is as used again by John C. Fremont during an 1844-1845 expedition to e

The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge

The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a derelict structure located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Placer County, California.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge can be found between the communities of Colfax and Iowa Hill.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a wire suspension structure which spans the North Fork American River.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge was replaced by a modern span and converted to pedestrian use following floods during 1963.   Part 1; the history of the 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge During 1853 gold was discovered at what to become Iowa Hill.  The gold mining claims soon led to a small community known as Iowa City being established.   By 1854, Post Office Service began at the mines of Iowa City.  By 1856 gold production at Iowa City was estimated to be around $100,000.  Iowa City was burned in fires during 1857 and 1862 but the community was rebuilt with more modernized structures.   The location of Iowa City can be seen as "Iowa Hill" on the 1873 Bancroft