Skip to main content

O'Bryne's Ferry Covered Bridge


O'Bryne's Ferry Covered Bridge was a structure located at the Stanislaus River along the Tuolumne County and Calaveras County line.  O'Bryne's Ferry Covered Bridge was constructed during 1862 as a replacement for an earlier suspension bridge.  O'Bryne's Ferry Covered Bridge was removed during 1955 as part of the Tri-Dam project which formed Lake Tulloch.  O'Bryne's Ferry Covered Bridge can be seen as the blog cover photo as featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works. 



The history of O'Bryne's Covered Bridge

The history of O'Bryne's Covered Bridge was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.  O'Byrne's Ferry was cable ferry crossing of the Stanislaus River which was constructed during the early California Gold Rush by Patrick O'Bryne.  The first O'Byrne's Ferry Bridge opened in 1852 as a suspension span.  The original O'Byrne's Ferry Bridge was overloaded by oxen during November 1853 but was soon rebuilt.  The original O'Byrne's Ferry Bridge was destroyed in an 1862 flood which led to it being replaced by a covered bridge.



O'Bryne's Ferry Covered Bridge can be seen in a photo featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.  


O'Bryne's Ferry Covered Bridge can be seen on the 1916 United States Geological Survey map of Copperopolis.


The site of O'Bryne's Ferry Covered Bridge can be seen at the Stanislaus River and Calaveras County line along O'Bryne's Ferry Road on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Tuolumne County.  


The O'Byrne Ferry Covered Bridge was removed during 1955 as part of the Tri-Dam Project which eventually formed Lake Tulloch.  O'Byrne's Ferry Road was subsequently realigned via a bridge which crossed the Tuolumne/Calaveras County line at the site of Lake Tulloch.  The relocated O'Byrne's Ferry Road can be seen on the 1962 United States Geological Survey map of Copperopolis.


O'Byrne's Ferry Road was assigned as part of County Route E15 by 1974.  The current O'Byrne's Ferry historical plaque was placed by the Calaveras County Historical Society during 1993 along County Route E15.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Central Freeway of San Francisco (US Route 101)

The Central Freeway is a 1.2-mile elevated limited access corridor in the city of San Francisco.  As presently configured the Central Freeway connects from the end of the Bayshore Freeway to Market Street.  The Central Freeway carries the mainline of northbound US Route 101 from the Bayshore Freeway to Mission Street. The Central Freeway has origins with the establishment of Legislative Route Number 223 and is heavily tied to the history of the once proposed Panhandle Freeway.  The Central Freeway between the Bayshore Freeway and Mission Street was completed during 1955.  The corridor was extended to a one-way couplet located at Turk Street and Golden Gate Avenue in 1959 which served to connect US Route 101 to Van Ness Avenue.  The Central Freeway was damaged by the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake and has since been truncated to Market Street.   The Central Freeway as pictured on the blog cover was featured in the May/June 1959 California Highways & Public Works.  The scan below is fro

The Bayshore Freeway (US Route 101)

The Bayshore Freeway is a 56.4-mile component of US Route 101 located in the San Francisco Bay Area.  The Bayshore Freeway connects the southern extent of San Jose to the Central Freeway in the city of San Francisco.  The corridor was originally developed as the Bayshore Highway between 1923 and 1937.  The Bayshore Highway would serve briefly as mainline US Route 101 before being reassigned as US Route 101 Bypass in 1938.  Conceptually the designs for the Bayshore Freeway originated in 1940 but construction would be delayed until 1947.  The Bayshore Freeway was completed by 1962 and became mainline US Route 101 during June 1963.   Part 1; the history of the Bayshore Freeway Prior the creation of the Bayshore Highway corridor the most commonly used highway between San Jose and San Francisco was El Camino Real (alternatively known as Peninsula Highway).  The  American El Camino Real  began as an early example of a signed as an Auto Trail starting in 1906.  The era of State Highway Mainte

Former US Route 101 and California State Route 41 through Paso Robles

Paso Robles is a city located on the Salinas River of San Luis Obispo County, California.  As originally configured the surface alignments of US Route 101 and California State Route 41 converged in downtown Paso Robles.  US Route 101 originally was aligned through Paso Robles via Spring Street.  California State Route 41 entered the City of Paso Robles via Union Road and 13th Street where it intersected US Route 101 at Spring Street.  US Route 101 and California State Route 41 departed Paso Robles southbound via a multiplex which split near Templeton.   Pictured above is the cover of the September/October 1957 California Highways & Public Works which features construction of the Paso Robles Bypass.  Pictured below is the 1935 Division of Highways Map of San Luis Obispo County which depicts US Route 101 and California State Route 41 intersecting in downtown Paso Robles.   Part 1; the history of US Route 101 and California State Route 41 in Paso Robles Paso Robles ("Pass of the