Skip to main content

Hayden Covered Bridge - Alsea, Oregon

 


One of Oregon's oldest covered bridges, the Hayden Covered Bridge spans over the Alsea River just west of the town of Alsea in Benton County, Oregon. Located just off Oregon Highway 34 and the Marys Peak to Pacific Scenic Byway, the Hayden Covered Bridge was built in 1918, reconstructed in 1946 and rehabilitated in 2003. The covered bridge was built in a Howe through truss design at a length of 150 feet, with a main span of 90 feet in length. The bridge can host a single lane of traffic at a time with a maximum vehicle height of 11 feet 6 inches and a maximum vehicle width of 16 feet. In 1979, the bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places

One of several covered bridges that were built in the Alsea River Valley, the Hayden Covered Bridge is the last covered bridge that remains. Oregon's last covered bridge located on a primary state highway, the Mill Creek Covered Bridge on Oregon Highway 34, stood just two miles away. But even the Hayden Covered Bridge has seen changes over time. In the 1946 reconstruction, the bridge's portals were once rounded in its design, but have been enlarged to a more modern design to facilitate larger loads. Vertical board and batten siding flare out at the covered bridge's base, similar to covered bridges found in nearby Lincoln County. A daylighting window strip placed below the roofline on both sides of the bridge illuminates the covered bridge's interior.

The future of this covered bridge may be different. After being in service for over 100 years, the Hayden Covered Bridge is slated to have a future as a pedestrian bridge. In 2017, an analysis determined that the bridge could not be strengthened to the legal load limit, so constructing a new bridge has been proposed at an estimated cost of $2,712,214. Construction is anticipated to begin on the new bridge in April 2024, and it is expected that the Hayden Covered Bridge will be saved for pedestrian use.

The Hayden Covered Bridge crosses the Alsea River, named for the local Alseya Native American tribe. 

The Hayden Covered Bridge looks stately and stands out in the springtime.

Inside the covered bridge.

Bridge plaque.


An old barn rests and collapses next to the Hayden Covered Bridge.


How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Oregon.com - Alsea River (Hayden) Covered Bridge
Travel Oregon - Hayden Covered Bridge
Bridgehunter.com - Hayden Covered Bridge 37-02-05 #2
Construction Journal - Hayden Covered Bridge - Benton County

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dillon Road

Dillon Road is a 34.2-mile highway located in northern Coachella Valley of Riverside County, California.  Dillon Road begins at Avenue 48 on the outskirts of Indio and ends to the west at California State Route 62 near San Gorgonio Pass.  Dillon Road was developed the 1930s as a construction road for the Colorado River Aqueduct.  Dillon Road serves as a northern bypass to much of the development of Coachella Valley.  Dillon Road is known for it's frequent dips and spectacular views of San Gorgonio Pass.   Part 1; the history of Dillon Road Dillon Road was constructed as a haul road for the Colorado River Aqueduct through Coachella Valley.  The Colorado River Aqueduct spans 242 miles from Parker Dam on the Colorado River west to Lake Mathews near Corona.  Construction of the Colorado River Aqueduct began during January 1933 near Thousand Palms and was made functional on January 7, 1939.  West of Berdoo Canyon Road the alignment of Dillon Road is largely concurrent with the Colorado

Oldtown Toll Bridge - Maryland and West Virginia

  The Oldtown Toll Bridge linking Oldtown, Maryland over the Potomac River with neighboring Green Spring, West Virginia is only one of a few truly privately owned toll bridges located in the United States. It's a simple bridge by design, as the 318 foot long Oldtown Toll Bridge is a low water bridge. Low water bridges are designed to allow water to safely and efficiently flow over the bridge deck. Additionally, a dozen concrete pedestals have been secured in the Potomac River in order to support the bridge and wooden deck. The bridge was constructed in 1937 when a gentleman by the name of Mr. Carpenter obtained the proper permits to build the Bridge through an Act of Congress. This was a blessing for residents, especially on the West Virginia side of the Potomac River, as it saved motorists commuting to Cumberland an hour in travel time. Using Mr. Carpenter's blueprints, the Army Corp of Engineers and a number of local laborers constructed the bridge and it remained under the

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road is an approximately 21-mile highway located in southeast Kern County.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road begins at Tehachapi Boulevard (former US Route 466) in Tehachapi and crosses the Tehachapi Mountains via the 4,820-foot-high Oak Creek Pass.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road enters Antelope Valley of the wider Mojave Desert and passes by the historic stage station of Willow Springs to a southern terminus at Rosamond Boulevard.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road has historic ties to the Havilah-Los Angeles Road and Stockton-Los Angeles Road due to the once reliable presence of water at Willow Springs. Part 1; the history of Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road Oak Creek Pass and Willow Springs were known to the local tribes of the Tehachapi Mountains for generations.  The first documented European crossing of Oak Creek Pass was during 1776 as part of an expedition by Francisco Garces.  Oak Creek Pass is as used again by John C. Fremont during an 1844-1845 expedition to e